Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over heard a conserveation in a gun shop today about TSA requireing a special box to put a hand gun in when checking baggage at the air port, it has to be a box approved by TSA and one that they have a key that will open it. Any body know anything about this.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Over heard a conserveation in a gun shop today about TSA requireing a special box to put a hand gun in when checking baggage at the air port, it has to be a box approved by TSA and one that they have a key that will open it. Any body know anything about this.
Somebody is giving you wrong information.

They do not get a key to open it. It can even be a combination lock. They do not get the combination, either.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Somebody is giving you wrong information.

They do not get a key to open it. It can even be a combination lock. They do not get the combination, either.
+1^^^
It must be a hard sided case.
The wife & I both have TSA work experience & TSA does NOT HAVE ACCESS TO THE PISTOL!!!

BW

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, I havent flowen in about 6 years and could not believe that the regs had changed that much, glad that they havent,

·
Registered
6 Posts
You are right that you don't have to have a TSA lock, BUT, if they cannot reach you over the airport paging system to open it for inspection, they will cut your locks. Once done, your firearm cannot go back into your luggage unlocked. The likelihood of someone other than the counter person that checked you in even knowing you have a firearm in your luggage is minimal. Even if it was stolen, the airline has to pay up with a limitation of $3300 by federal law.

I put two TSA locks on my Pelican case, put the case in my luggage after the checkin inspection with the "orange form" inclosed and put another TSA lock on the luggage containing the box with the firearm. I haven't had any problems.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I put two TSA locks on my Pelican case, put the case in my luggage after the checkin inspection with the "orange form" inclosed and put another TSA lock on the luggage containing the box with the firearm. I haven't had any problems.
Old post I know, but the rules do say that it is supposed to be a lock that you and only you have the key/combination to.

Think you have just gotten lucky so far in getting ticket people/TSA dudes that don't know that part of rules.

Informative video here:

Defcon 17 - Packing and the Friendly Skies (Why Transporting your Firearms may be the best way to - YouTube

·
Banned
2,189 Posts
How anyone could be a TSA agent and feel up little boys and girls is beyond me. I would rather be unemployed.

·
Super Moderator
21,404 Posts
Apparently some didn't pay attention to the warnings. The thread is closed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.