Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know some of you may be aware, but I just bought a 1,000 round case of Tulammo and they have a silver-gray "bimetal" jacket on the bullet.

No big deal for me, I bought these for my 9mm convertible Blackhawk. But I also would think people with uber-Sig or match grade crunchen-tickers wouldn't be buying steel case.......

The bi-metal may accellerate bore wear, that's the "hot topic" online with this ammo........but what are we talking, your bore may wear faster with 70,000 of these vs. 100,000 "copper" case? I think people "overthink" bore wear on pistol caliber guns.

If I wear the bore of my $550 Blackhawk out with bi-metal $190 per 1,000 Tulammo, then the cost savings vs. brass will have paid for a new barrel, probably a new gun and then some, so I'm not worried.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's maybe $150 for a new AR barrel, and maybe $50-100 for a skilled gunsmith to install, so if you shoot 10's of thousands of rounds of cheaper steel case, with the "bi metal" jacket bullets, it will more than pay for the barrel.

For me, for plinking ammo in 9mm and .45 ACP through my Single Actions, I save hundreds with the steel case and it makes no difference to me just to punch paper. The TulAmmo seems like the lower priced of the steel case.

·
Registered
186 Posts
ex, that looks like cupro/nickel jackets like some of the .30cal stuff that comes out of south africa.

if it is like it, i wouldn't worry about the bullet just the case ejecting and not hanging up in the chamber.

it might be aluminum too you dont know , doesn't matter if it shoots good whocares as long as it goes boom and hits the target and is accurate at that price i wouldn't complain at all.

·
Registered
9,683 Posts
I refuse to buy Tulammo of any kind ... I shot some once and it was just junk and dirty ... IMHO ...

·
Registered
638 Posts
I never buy steel cased ammo. Especially now when I can order quality brass case ammo so cheap. For example, SGammo currently has 1000 rounds of Blazer Brass for $189 (w/ $16 shipping AND no sales tax) in stock. There are other flavors for not much more.

Most of my guns get put in my carry rotation. I'd rather not risk an extractor or other part failing when I need it. The savings of a dollar a box (if that) isn't worth the potential headache to me. YMMV.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I'm fine with steel cased ammo except Monarch which left a lot of copper fouling in my barrel.

The cost savings of steel cased are far greater than the cost of replacing a barrel or extractor. And I'm shooting steel cased ammo in guns like my P90 and 9E, not some high falutin Sig 210 or Korth.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts