Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have a Glock 42 which I love and take to the range every time I go to practice with. I was reading online about these tungsten guide rods for Glocks and wondering if anyone has had experience with them? Is it just the spring for the slide? That's what it looked like from the picture. Does it make any difference. I'm curious but at the same time $80 is enough to prevent me from investigating further. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
I don't see any reason to replace your guide rod. Unless you have about 50 spare magazines, and are planning to shoot 1,000 rounds with it as fast as you can, there really is no need for a metal guide rod. The stock one will serve you just fine.

Also, if you're using the 42 for concealed carry, be very careful about doing any modifications to your gun. If you ever had to use it, you don't want your gun or your ammo to be any kind of an issue.

·
"The Real Deal"
8,039 Posts
I don't see any reason to replace your guide rod. Unless you have about 50 spare magazines, and are planning to shoot 1,000 rounds with it as fast as you can, there really is no need for a metal guide rod. The stock one will serve you just fine.

Also, if you're using the 42 for concealed carry, be very careful about doing any modifications to your gun. If you ever had to use it, you don't want your gun or your ammo to be any kind of an issue.
I second, very wise advise.;)

·
Registered
388 Posts
The only benefit that I see is that the increased weight would reduce muzzle rise. The downside would be carrying the extra weight.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
My own personal opinion is that some of this stuff is just designed to make the seller money. I read of a test one time where the testers fired a Glock so fast and so long that it actually melted the stock guide rod, and the thing still worked.

Save your money for ammo.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I have had a glock for 19 years. The gun is well used, still has the same guide rod. I would say save your money.

·
Registered
190 Posts
There is no functional need for a metal guide rod one is not better than the other, but for years people.have added weight to their barrels to improve on muzzle flip. Check out the weight difference and decide if you believe it will help you IF you are having an issue with muzzle flip. If not then double your money by folding it over and sticking it back in your pocket.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all,
I haven't noticed much muzzle flip on the pistol since .380 is pretty light but wondered about decreasing it further. I think I'll save my money for now :)

·
"The Real Deal"
8,039 Posts
Thanks all,
I haven't noticed much muzzle flip on the pistol since .380 is pretty light but wondered about decreasing it further. I think I'll save my money for now :)
Something I did on my lcp 380 to reduce muzzle flip was installed an extra power wolff recoil spring, the maximum poundage. It makes the lcp less snappy, and made me more accurate out to 25 yards, despite the non iron sight setup it has. It does make it more stiff to rack the slide, but its benefits outweigh this small increase in force needed to rack it. Now several friends including my wife have the springs installed in theirs, most love the addition.;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts