Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spring turkey time is almost here in Ohio.
Who out there is going turkey hunting?

Got my Winchester 1200 all cleaned and oiled up and plugged. Same shotgun my dad handed me years ago, my go to gun, even if it is 2 3/4 chambered she puts game on the table and knocks clays out of the sky.

What you hunting with and where?

·
Registered
530 Posts
It's coming up here as well not as plentiful as other states but we just have to work harder;) but that's the fun of the sport. using an S&W pump I've wrapped my Red Label a couple seasons ago for a day no shots but was also having problem picking up front bead with camo cloth tap and went back to my S&W.
I've be invited to come out to Kentucky by a couple of my Marine Corp. brothers next year hopefully. Their non-resident friendly (fees aren't that high)

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
3Recon
Glad your going out again this year. My fall tag expired before bagging a bird, so I have high hopes for this spring.
Never cloth taped a gun, other than obscuring the front sight, does it mess with the finish?
Lee

·
Registered
517 Posts
Only 2 weeks left here in central Florida. I got my 2 bird limit only 8 days into a 6 week season, both taken at about 20-25 yds.. I took one with my trusty .410 bore (I posted about .410 shotgunning for turkeys a year or two ago), and two days later I took one with my 22/45 handgun shooting the turkey in the spine when he turned away from me to look at a hen approaching. My first one with a handgun. I'm already looking forward to hunting these Osceola turkeys again next year but with my new crossbow. Good luck and Happy huntin'!

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Only 2 weeks left here in central Florida. I got my 2 bird limit only 8 days into a 6 week season, both taken at about 20-25 yds.. I took one with my trusty .410 bore (I posted about .410 shotgunning for turkeys a year or two ago), and two days later I took one with my 22/45 handgun shooting the turkey in the spine when he turned away from me to look at a hen approaching. My first one with a handgun. I'm already looking forward to hunting these Osceola turkeys again next year but with my new crossbow. Good luck and Happy huntin'!
410, now that is completely cool. What kinda shells did you use? I have an O/U 410 and that would be mondo bragging rights, if I bagged one with a 410.
:)

·
Registered
8,705 Posts
Spring turkey time is almost here in Ohio.
Who out there is going turkey hunting?

Got my Winchester 1200 all cleaned and oiled up and plugged. Same shotgun my dad handed me years ago, my go to gun, even if it is 2 3/4 chambered she puts game on the table and knocks clays out of the sky.

What you hunting with and where?
Oh the memories of turkey hunting with my dad in the hills of southern Ohio. We never did bag a turkey but we had our fair chances that's for sure. With spring turkey season comes one other favorite thing to hunt morel mushrooms. Good memories and good eats.

·
Registered
517 Posts
410, now that is completely cool. What kinda shells did you use? I have an O/U 410 and that would be mondo bragging rights, if I bagged one with a 410.
:)
Winchester 3" high brass 11/16oz. #4 shot coming out of Mossberg bolt action with full choke. Keep in mind that you only have half the pellets of a 12 gauge so my limit for shooting at one is 20-25yds.. Been using it for many years now with great success. I also use my .22 LR rifle from time to time, again with the same distance limits but shoot them when broadside with shots thru the eyeballs.

·
Reloading Addict
10,714 Posts
Haven't hunted spring birds in a few yrs. If I do go, I'll use the same equipment I used to bag my last long beard. My Hoyt.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I bought a Mossberg 535 combo last year ,added a Carlson Long Beard Choke and sighted in with the Long Beard ammo. Hadn't hunted with a shotgun so was unsure of what to expect.
Had three shots on Toms I had called in to my set of decoys -all high!(thankfully no wounded birds). I discovered after an hour of trying to sight in like a rifle that it was shooting six" high no matter where I had the factory sights placed.
Sent it back to Mossberg after the season closed and got a new barrel on which I have mounted a set of True Glow Turkey sights and now it's dead on at 35 yards.
Our season opens April 27 and I'm looking forward to better results this year.

Bob

·
Registered
530 Posts
daleeman, I use an elastic camo. wrap put out by mossy oak (many other brands)that sticks to itself so I over lap it about 3/16 or less of an inch. It leaves no residue even after a few of weeks . I just cover the barrel, fore grip and the butt stock leaving the receiver uncovered to operate.
It was pretty new to me and I was trying to protect it from brush scratches when changing postions and setting up but, I could just use a gun sock, yeah
It's like the wrap they use in the doctors office after they draw blood.
Oregons spring season is 4/15 to 5/31 I use a 3" #4 shot and my sweet spot is 30-35 yards also when using decoys.
Enjoy guys and girls.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Last year when set up, back against tree and a couple smaller ones on both sides, had this hen jump over this log about 10 yards away at my 5 o'clock postion couldn't make it out at first but I couldn't move either, a couple soft scrathes on the slate she continues to walk past me moving further away and then he calls to her a nice red white and blue head tom about 25 yrds further away in the timber. now mind you I've be looking out the corner of my eyes trying not to move and their starting to hurt (eye stain). Tried a couple cloks with diaphragm and rotating shotgun to left shoulder hoping to get shot when I could move a little more freely but it was not to be. went back to slate but he was not to talk again he got his lady and was happy for the time.:p
Just want to share.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks like 23 April is the first day out for me. My buddy with the turkey rich land has agreed to clean his garage so that wipes his honey-do list clean so we can head out.
I'll buy the beverages and steaks to cook at camp since we can only hunt half days in Ohio for the first half of spring season.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
North Zone for Rio Grande Turkey open April 2, but I didn't get to the lease until April 4. I was having trouble with my ATV and almost didn't make it to the stand. I made it there with shotgun, Benelli Nova, turkey choke and ammo but didn't check my pack for the calls I have. They were back at the house, not in the pack. Disgusted, even a blind hog finds and acorn, a Jake strolled by at 50 yards. The way the day was going, I decided to not waste a round.

My buddies and I will go back next week, and if the ATV stays healed, the first thing I will do is pack the two calls.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Racked and ready, heading out in the morning. Going to be hard to get any sleep tonight I'm stoked.

·
Registered
8,705 Posts
Racked and ready, heading out in the morning. Going to be hard to get any sleep tonight I'm stoked.
Good luck ... I miss getting out there and hearing those gobbles down in the valley ...

·
Registered
17,159 Posts
Here's a few in my yard.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
21,666 Posts
Season starts May 3rd in NH. When I was young I had poultry allergies and they went away around age 12. Now in my late 60's I guess I'm starting my second childhood as the allergies are back. I used to turkey hunt every year but now I pass as I can't eat them so why kill them. There are several nice toms I have seen on my property this year strutting around all fanned out.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Zero turkeys today, try again tomorrow and more days to come.
Took the Rossi single shot out instead of the 1200.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Mine is over until fall

My hunting partner ended the season on opening day, I got two toms and his first go was a double, seven hour drive one day hunt and back home!:)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts