Ruger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
jlweems
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With Thanksgiving fast approaching, I thought it would be fun to get a run down as to how everyone here prepares turkey.

Personally, I like to brine them and then cook them on a rottisserie. I have a rottisserie on my grill, and I have one of those indoor models from the infomercials. The indoor one does a great job, but if I cook it on the grill I get the smoke/grill flavors as well. On the grill, I put a pan of watter to one side and a pack of smoke pellets on the other with the turkey cooking over the coals.

Prep:

I use a Honeysuckle White boneless breast, but it works very well with whole turkeys as well. I make a solution of 1/2 cup salt, 1/2 cup brown sugar per gallon of water. The measurements don't have to be exact. Sometimes I'll add maple syrup if I have it. I soak the turkey in the solution at least overnight, but it's even better if able to soak it for at least 24 hours (obviously it is in the fridge while soaking). When I get ready to put on to cook, I pour conola oil over it and shake on some mesquite seasoning.

I prefer to cook it over low heat. Once the skin is browned to the desired point, I wrap it in tin foil and let it cook until it reaches an internal temp of 160 degrees.

Here are a couple of pics:

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Well you got me drooling! Looks delicious.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts