Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Received my Wolff spring kit and a hammer shim kit from TriggerShims.com. today. Took an hour before supper and installed them. Used the 10# hammer spring coupled with the 8# trigger spring. Also installed a set of hammer shims. The trigger pull now is light and smooth. Looking forward to getting out and putting some rounds thru it.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Good job! I found that the Wolf kit really improved my trigger pull. Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Way to go! I still haven't put the springs in my GP100s that I have been meaning to do. You may have to go up on the trigger spring - or not.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Received my Wolff spring kit and a hammer shim hit from TriggerShims.com. today. Took an hour before supper and installed them. Used the 10# hammer doing coupled with the 8# trigger spring. Also installed a set of hammer shims. The trigger pull now is light and smooth. Looking forward to getting out and putting some rounds thru it.
Argee, where did you get the trigger shims?

·
Registered
629 Posts
My new gp100 has very faint rub marks on both sides of the hammer after about 100 rnds. Should I consider shims? Already polished internals and installed a spring kit. The gun shoots great. Cheers gunna.

·
Premium Member
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My new gp100 has very faint rub marks on both sides of the hammer after about 100 rnds. Should I consider shims? Already polished internals and installed a spring kit. The gun shoots great. Cheers gunna.
The way I checked it was to run a feeler gauge down beside the trigger progressively until I couldn't get one down it. I took that size and deducted .002 - .004 for clearance and then divided by two to get the shim size. Everything you need is HERE. There are great tutorials and step by step videos.

·
Premium Member
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Way to go! I still haven't put the springs in my GP100s that I have been meaning to do. You may have to go up on the trigger spring - or not.
I put the 12# in and tried it and didn't care for it...so I stepped it down to the 10#.... Putting a few rounds thru it will be the test.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
The shims will further reduce friction but if the gun already shoots great, why bother?

·
Registered
629 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
I installed the 10# in both my GP and SP. Landed up having to go to the 12# on the GP got a few light primer strikes. Alot less than the 9#. No FTF with he 12#. They do offer a 11# spring, and that is sitting on my bench right now.
I haven;t gotten a chance to run a bunch of ammo thru the SP yet to see if I have any FTF's, but I have an 11# for that too if the need arises

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have the same 10/8 spring combo installed in my GP100 MC. It has been flawless so far. The trigger pull has settled at about 8.5 DA and 2.75 SA.

I tried the 9# hammer spring and it lightened the pull even further but I encountered light strike issues about 10% of the time.

Enjoy shooting that SP101!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Received my Wolff spring kit and a hammer shim kit from TriggerShims.com. today. Took an hour before supper and installed them. Used the 10# hammer doing coupled with the 8# trigger spring. Also installed a set of hammer shims. The trigger pull now is light and smooth. Looking forward to getting out and putting some rounds thru it.
Did you by chance do any work inside the "trigger link plunger" the "trigger guard latch" or the "trigger guard housing hole"?

I've always wondered if just a tiny bit of polishing/de-burring might greatly assist in the overall feel of the trigger operation?

·
Premium Member
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did you by chance do any work inside the "trigger link plunger" the "trigger guard latch" or the "trigger guard housing hole"?

I've always wondered if just a tiny bit of polishing/de-burring might greatly assist in the overall feel of the trigger operation?
I ran a (hand only) 1/4" drill bit thru the trigger spring plunger tube when I had it apart and found nothing noticeable. I then used a synthetic (00)steel wool pad ever so slightly on the edges of the pawl to remove any burrs.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
The shims will further reduce friction but if the gun already shoots great, why bother?
I put them in for the reason above and in case they do rub against the frame the hammer will not mar.

·
Premium Member
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I put them in for the reason above and in case they do rub against the frame the hammer will not mar.
I agree with firemanjones... the shims will put it at optimum performance....that's a win/win!

·
Premium Member
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Had it out back shooting it today. What a difference...action is smooth and pull is light. Been practicing the trigger pull to the cocked position then aim and fire. Dead on!!! Man...I'm really pleased with this jewel of a pistol!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts