Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I admit it I didn't really look that hard.
About twenty five years ago I decided to sell my well worn 4 in. blue Security six. The idea was, to put the money towards a nice stainless model.
Well, the best laid plans of mice and men.....
I didn't see anything I liked right away, and the idea went to the back burner.
I would see a nice one from time to time, but didn't act.
Well recently I found just what I wanted, a 1984 model in excellent condition, and it only took twenty five years.:rolleyes: 000_0152.JPG

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
Nice! Congratulations!

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
Now how long will it take to get those Goodyears off of it?

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
One of the best revolvers ever made, IMHO.

Back when the Six series guns were in production you could always find a used one for sale. The secret amongst the more knowledgeable gun traders was that the Six series Rugers were every bit as good (superior in some ways) as the S&W models they competed with and almost always could be found for less money. Unfortunately after production of the Six series ceased that secret got out. What had been something of an underground bargain become an expensive find.

The Service-Six, Security-Six and Speed-Six models are excellent designs that combine strength, durability, reliability and accuracy.
Many of us wish that Bill Ruger had continued production of the Six series alongside the GP-100 and SP101 lines but it was not to be.

Congratulations on your "New" Security-Six. Never let that one get away from you.

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
Very nice looking revolver. I have a 1978 S/S model 6" with Pachmayr grips that is a pure pleasure to shoot. I agree with Petrol and Powder on the quality side. The fit and finish is top notch. Enjoy your new find.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Agree that it was one of the best ever made.

Congrats on the find.

I have thought about adding another, but have yet to find one that was well taken care of. Haven't found hardly any at all, actually. Seems no one wants to part with a Security Six. I would not sell mine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Nice piece, I had a 4in security six yrs ago and times got hard and had to let a piece go and thats the one that was picked, love those grips and have them on my wifes and my own service sixes. They just fit our hands better than the pacs and will someday stumble across a set for my 3in speed six

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
NICE!! I have one just like it with the same grips.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One of the best revolvers ever made, IMHO.
The Service-Six, Security-Six and Speed-Six models are excellent designs that combine strength, durability, reliability and accuracy.
Many of us wish that Bill Ruger had continued production of the Six series alongside the GP-100 and SP101 lines but it was not to be.
Thank you all for the positive comments.
The six series surely is an excellent design.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Don't feel too bad, it took me nearly 25 years after they stopped making them to realize what a fine gun they are.

·
Registered
286 Posts
the Six series was excellent>
I recently sold mine to a guy who collected and apriciated them. Ive moved on to the GP100 and don't regret it, but that Security six sold me on the DA ruger.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nice piece, I had a 4in security six yrs ago and times got hard and had to let a piece go and thats the one that was picked, love those grips and have them on my wifes and my own service sixes. They just fit our hands better than the pacs and will someday stumble across a set for my 3in speed six
Funny I never really looked at the Ruger rubber grips, until I bought this gun. I always thought they were rebadged Pachmayr's, but they are definitely different. The rubber compound feels different to me, and the finish seems better.
My old Six had Pachmayr's, as do most of my revolvers, but I'm really liking these factory grips. :cool:

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Looks great.
Congratulations.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Bought my first SS 6"in 1973 used for 65 bucks, that was a great gun, it was my only pistol for much of my younger years.

Unfortunately it made the " why the Hell did I ever sell it " gun list .

God Bless ole Bill Ruger

1 - 20 of 31 Posts