Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the barrel twist rates for the newer model Mini 14's? I've tried to find it, but it's not in their catalog, or on their website. Ruger doesn't list an E-Mail address. Bill T.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,490 Posts
billt, You probably didn't go into the specifications page. All Ruger Mini-14s (Ranch or Target) now have a 1:9 twist rate. See: http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdSpecsView?model=5835 Contrary to popular belief, this does not mean you can shoot heavy bullets. Because of the shorter barrel (18.5") you don't get the full velocity of a 20-24" barreled 223 Rem. Spin rate is based on both twist rate and muzzle velocity. The heaviest bullet that will stabilize at 300 yards or more is a 60 grain. A 69 gr will stabilize up to about 250 yards.

·
Registered
81 Posts
From my recent research, I read that they started with 1:10 and then switched fairly quickly to 1:7 and then finally to 1:9. I don't know the dates or serials though - maybe in that link posted?

I'll go take a peek!

Well they have current specs but not historic... and I looked in the pdf manual too.. oh well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts