Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have the P22 Scope with the Nikoplex reticle on my S&W 15-22 MOE on Nikon P223 mounts and I love it. Here's a picture of it:

I have a Bushnell Banner 3x9 with Weaver See-Thru rings on my 10/22 and it fills the bill nicely. Here's a picture of it:

If you're planning on doing a lot of outdoor long range shooting, the BDC reticle would be a good choice once you get the hang of using their app to determine which reticle to use.

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
If it were me, I'd probably go with the 3-9x over the 2-7x. I actually had the 3-9x for a while and loved it. I parted ways with it in favor of a red dot to keep my setup as light and compact as possible, but when I had it, I loved it.

It'll let you reach out a little more than the 2-7 and has a little more traditional design. I think on an AR-Style .22 like the one above (which looks really, really sharp), the 2-7 seems more appropriate.

I like the 3-9 and have some experience with it so I can definitely vouch for it that it's a great optic for the money.

·
Registered
187 Posts
While Nikon does make a decent scope, they ONLY offer a Limited Lifetime warranty

Key word is Limited, like a disposable Bic lighter, if normal stuff happens your fine BUT, if something like Murphys law comes in to play, you are screwed.

I would only be looking at the Three scope Manufacturers that have a UNCONDITIONAL, UNLIMITED, Life Time Warranty

1. Weaver-Can be Expensive
2. Leupold-Can be Expensive
3. Vortex - Reasonably priced

with the Unconditional Life Time Warranty, in most cases they will replace the scope with a new scope, or if that scope is no longer available they will upgrade you to a current better than model no questions asked, they dont care how or why it got broken, or weather or it was your fault or theirs,

NO Questions asked replacement.

Nikon Will NOT do that they will honor their warranty only if it is Nikons Fault.

If you had one of those three MFR scopes have it in a trunk of your car, and the scope gets damaged, because you put your 300# barbells on top of the new scope, or how about this your brother-in-law or Girl friend drops the rifle, and it lands on the NEW scope, or how about you go to tighten the scope rings down (not all alum. is created equal) and crush a scope tube, damaging your new scope.

With Nikon you'll have to Buy another scope Ca - ching $$$. you just bought another scope. NICE!!

With one of the three, you can send in a Piece of the scope to them and they will send you a new one.

Ultimately it is up to you and your wallet. buying one of the other 3 scopes is like buying a Life time free unconditional replacement.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I looked at the Nikon P22 as i thought i would like the 150BDC feature at first, but if you are going to really use it a LOT, shist happens

I like the Vortex 2-7-35 Diamondback for RimFire, for short and medium range

Or a 3-9x40, but if you stick with the rimfire scope you should be ok, the problem is, longer range scopes may not be good for shorter ranges only longer

I have seen a few people that have 4-16x50 power great for long range, but forget about shorter range, and closer in stuff.

Vortex Optics - Diamondback 2-7x35 V-Plex

Who evers scope you buy look at Opticsplanet.com pricing as they have good prices

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Warranty is a good thing to consider. Especially if you tend to be accident-prone (a character flaw that probably doesn't mix well with guns to begin with) or if you're going to be trucking it around in the woods and in the back of your car or something.

I remember one time, my dad ran over a 10-year-old pair of binoculars and crushed one of the tubes. I mean, CRUSHED. I believe they were Bushnell and carried a lifetime warranty. He sent them to Bushnell to see about getting them repaired. Shortly after the Brown Truck dropped off a box with a brand new pair of binoculars. They covered it on their dime and he ended up with a nicer piece of glass than what he had before.

If your rifles are safe-kept and transported in good cases and you are generally careful with your gear, it's not so much an issue. Also, with the .22 you are far less likely to experience failures due to recoil so unless you drop, kick, burn, maim, run over, blow up, step on, submerge, shoot, throw or otherwise forcefully damage your optic in any way, chances of needing repair are slim. If the price difference is negligible, go with the better warranty. If you're talking about a 50-75% increase, it may not be worth it. Consider how you'll use it and how likely you are to need to call on a good warranty.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I agree if you are only a Range shooter.

I take care of my guns, Nothing has ever happened to me but know of schnitz that has happened.

If you have your gun in a gun a hard case and pull it out at the range shoot then back into the hard case they go, your probably fine.

If you are a hunter, a backpacker, on a extended hunt carrying your weapon as you hike via sling, or back pack, something can happen.

I have a 10/22TD that I like to take with me when I hike up into BLM land to a shooting destination. I am sure that I am not the only person that does this, as it is a lot more fun than driving to a range to shoot

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
I use a Tasco 3-9 X 20 rimfire scope on my 10/22 Sporter. It's about $15 most places, and works fine for me just plinking. I bought two on sale for $11, but the first one is still good after three years use.

http://rugerforum.net/pictures/bearcatter-27s-photos/p684-10-2f22-sporter.html

I couldn't see spending half or more of the rifle's cost on a scope. The small size looks good on top of a 10/22, too. Weaver makes a 20mm scope that is close to $200.

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
I agree if you are only a Range shooter.

I take care of my guns, Nothing has ever happened to me but know of schnitz that has happened.

If you have your gun in a gun a hard case and pull it out at the range shoot then back into the hard case they go, your probably fine.

If you are a hunter, a backpacker, on a extended hunt carrying your weapon as you hike via sling, or back pack, something can happen.

I have a 10/22TD that I like to take with me when I hike up into BLM land to a shooting destination. I am sure that I am not the only person that does this, as it is a lot more fun than driving to a range to shoot
Yessir! All valid points. Depending on use and possible worst-case scenarios, I'd either go with a more expensive lifetime-warrantied scope or a less expensive limited warranty model.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
I have the 3-9x40 BDC 150 on a couple of rifles and love them. I could see the 2-7, though, as good choice, too. Being a bit smaller and more compact, the 2-7x32 would make it a great choice on a 10/22 TD. The 3-9x40 is a big scope as rimfire scopes go. Might be a bit much for a take down.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the info everyone!! I am still on the fence and still researching. Especially because I just got a Vortex for my new 308, so I have to keep the bidget tight on the scope for the little TD. I am also leaning towards the P-22 because I know I could leave it on the TD and still break it down and fit it in the bag, so it can ride in the trunk of my car. There is rarely anything else in there. I know, I need to be careful not to let it get banged etc.

Iowegan, I will read the article as soon as I hit the 10 post mark. :) Thanks, I look forward to reading it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts