Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My grandfather died a few years ago and I just now came across an old pistol he must have bought (or otherwise acquired) while in Germany in WWII. It is a two-shot pistol with a break barrel and alternating firing mechanism. Ammo is .22 LR. Does anyone know anything about this pistol's heritage? I am almost certain it is not anything of much value monetarily, but it has to be at least 40 or 50 years old and has enormous sentimental value.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. On the breech face where the barrel breaks, there is a stamp of what appears to be the Nazi war eagle with an "H" nearby. On the barrel, it has "Made in Germany" stamped and on the other side it has a serial number(I think). On top is stamped "Burgo". My brother has it now and I will get a picture of it on here when I see him again. We actually shot it yesterday, and for as little as it is, it was surprisingly acurate. We were consistently breaking 4" clay pigeons on stands at 12 yards. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
The name was familiar but couldn't immediately place it. I did a search and came up with this from a collector website oldguns.net :

# 6188 - Burgo Revolver Value
8/2/2003
Burgo - Pistol - 22 - 2 Inches - Don't Know - 1244568 -
it looks like it is black and it has an ivory handle Is it worth anything. I found it among my husband's things after his death. I knew he had it but it had slipped my mind.

Answer:
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, the Burgo was an inexpensive (cheap Saturday night special type) revolver manufactured in the 1960's by Karl Burgsmuller of Kreiensen, West Germany for export to the United States. U.S. import of his type of revolver was banned by the gun control act of 1968. There is no collector demand for Burgo revolvers, values fall in the $25 to $50 range.

Since yours may have been made by Nazi Germany with the markings, it may have more value. Also see the thread here from another forum.
http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cach...D=68874+burgo+pistol&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=3&gl=us

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thaks for that. I was aware that Burgo was on the "list" of not-so-hot manufacturers, but the Nazi symbol intrigued me. I will still post a picture when I get it back from my brother.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts