Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, i have been wondering if i can get anyone here's opinion on how Uberti's hold up for the long haul. I am seriously looking into getting a cowboy style six gun mostly for range work but i always do want to get my moneys worth so like many here i assume my first look into one is Ruger's products, i can not say enough good things about their firearms. While i managed to get a hold of one there is a lot to like, built like a tank, and the transfer bar safety to hold a full 6 safely is great. But i just do not like the size of the grip.

Now my dealer had a Taylor & co. gunfighter, man this was a thing of beauty and it fit me perfect and hit almost all my criteria, longer 1860 army grip so it was a lot more comfortable in my hand, .357 magnum and with the 5.5" barrel, just the set up i wanted aside from being stainless. I am just wondering as long as i do my part in taking care of it, am i gonna have a firearm for life? I understand the old style flat springs are weaker than the coil design ruger uses but i dont mind replace springs now and again, that is just par for the course of proper maintenance, I am more asking for the frame and major components.

Now trying to be a dilligent consumer I have been doing my own research, which i have mostly found good firearms, albeit weaker than the Rugers. But how much so? will regular .357 use shoot it out in ten years or is this just talking it wont survive an atomic bomb blast like a Ruger would :p In essence i just want to make sure if i invest my money into purchasing it and do my part taking care of it i will have something that will stick with me for many many years, hopefully a lifetime.

I apologize for the wordy post, thank you for your time

·
"The Real Deal"
7,883 Posts
Well, I have experience with both the ruger sa, and cimmaron I have a man with no name 45lc as used by clint in the movies fist full of dollars saga. The cimmaron, uberti, are all related maybe manufactured by the same companies. The biggest thing I can say about the cimmaron is that you should use ammo that was equal to period correct ammo in these revolvers. The older version like the uberti/ cimmaron is not designed to handle higher powered loads like the ruger can in that caliber. It specifically states in the hornady reloading #9 edition to different offerings, one for the old colt design and clones, and the ruger. But this is not a negative point. I load different rounds for each since I own an alaskan 454. I dont plan to carry my cimmaron hunting, I just plan to enjoy it as a range gun. I have had mine for some time, and never had an issue. Its pretty true to the original design, and its accurate. You may have to file the front sight down, same as the original colt to zero it, but thats common practice, and why the front sight is so tall. They are great and nots as tough on your bank account as the real deal. I would recommend them, I love mine. Here is what I own.

Dont get me wrong i love my ruger sa as well. I owned a vaquero 5.5 in 44 mag, polished stainless, great pistol, but sold it to fund another project. I own a ruger blackhawk in 30 carbine thats also a great revolver. It can handle higher powered charges, and works as it should. Here is my blackhawk in 30 carbine.

URL=http://s713.photobucket.com/user/tacky11/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20141009_163015_zps4852b315.jpg.html]
[/URL]

·
Registered
153 Posts
I used a Uberti Thunderer in .45 Colt for second gun for maybe 6000 rounds of regular loads. (I like bang and clang, not pop and plink)

I really like the Thunderer and still shoot it regularly. Everything is still tight.
The only part that ever broke was the cylinder hand, which I replaced fairly easily.
I think it was broken by a friend trying to "speed cock" it. (whatever he meant by that)

No Peacemaker clone is bullet proof. If you want bullet proof, Rugers are way better - but you'll never get that wonderful, "Click-clickty-click" like you get from a Colt or clone.

·
"The Real Deal"
7,883 Posts
No Peacemaker clone is bullet proof. If you want bullet proof, Rugers are way better - but you'll never get that wonderful, "Click-clickty-click" like you get from a Colt or clone.
Agreed, nothing like the sound of 4 clicks, its truly priceless. Also no tranfer bar, so ride one cylinder empty. ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ah thank you both this is exactly the type of experience i was hoping to hear, seems to me as long as i dont expect em to do what they were never designed to do i should enjoy it for many moons? that seems totally fair to me and would love to hear more experience.

and Tacky those are beautiful firearms especially the "Man with no name" gun, some of my favorite movies but that wood on the blackhawk look fantastic as well, hope you at least kept the grips!

·
"The Real Deal"
7,883 Posts
ah thank you both this is exactly the type of experience i was hoping to hear, seems to me as long as i dont expect em to do what they were never designed to do i should enjoy it for many moons? that seems totally fair to me and would love to hear more experience.

and Tacky those are beautiful firearms especially the "Man with no name" gun, some of my favorite movies but that wood on the blackhawk look fantastic as well, hope you at least kept the grips!
Thanks i still have those 2 pictured, the blackhawk 30 carbine had the original plastic grips, I swapped them for rosewoods. A blued revolver just seems to need wood grips in my mind opinion. The vaquero 44 mag i had that was polished staimless had wood factory grips as well, it was tough shooting 44 mag loads in it. Unfortunately thats was before I had discovered the 44 specials, if I knew what I know now, I would still have the 44 mag vaquero, and shoot only 44 specials in it, I do miss that gun.

As for the man with no name revolver, I am a big fan of eastwood, I also own the 29 smith 44 mag 8&3/8's as Iin the dirty harry movies So when cimmaron came out with that revolver, I had to get ome. Yes as long as you use loads designed for the original, you will be fine. I would also stay away from fanning the hammer, as seen in alot of westerns. It can damage the gun, as stated in the user manual. But thats normal for all guns of that period. With care it will outlast you I am sure.;)

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
My Uberti 1873 Cattleman in 45Colt is one of my favorite SAs. Beautiful bluing and real case color hardening and a terrific trigger right out of the box. But I can't speak from long experience with it as it hasn't seen decades of shooting or thousands of rounds. I seems like a well built gun though. I believe there was once some concerns over inferior metallurgy in these Italian replicas but after Beretta got involved they sorted that out and upped their game. Or so the story goes. For a casual range gun I don't think you'll be disappointed. I know I'm not and that's exactly how I enjoy mine.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I have and had, Rugers, Ubertis. Piettas(Cimarron), Colt's, and ASM's. I don't shoot magnum stuff anymore so I appreciate the Italian guns for the better fit and finish they have. Sorry, but it's true! The Colts are the best in that regard. I dislike the transfer bar idea so I no longer buy new Ruger SA's. Just me

·
Registered
863 Posts
I've got them all, Rugers, Uberti's, Pietta's, and Cimarrons. If I remember history enough there never was a killing back then that ever used a "Ruger" only ammo. They pretty much did a lot of killing using the REGULAR typical .45 loads. So in reality you would be fine carrying and using anyone of them in the field.

I do shoot them an awful lot and haven't had many issues other than keep your screws tight (that also applies to your thinking ability too.)

Best of luck and enjoy the shooting irons.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I have two Cimarron's and love them both. A Thunderer birdshead in .44 special and a Lightning birdie in .38 Special. No real issues with either one, but the .38 only likes new ammo, not reloads (reloads are hard to eject). They both have quirks you need to be aware of (specifically the cylinder pin position), but that is part of what makes them unique.

And as mentioned above, the 4-positions hammer pull (it spells out C-O-L-T) is quite satisfying to hear when you cock the gun.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
My first "real" single actions were Rugers, so I never got spoiled by any 4-click cocking, I just love the durability. The Vaquero is the "Peacemaker" of the 21st Century.

I had many Uberti cap and ballers, and a few cartridge revolvers, IMO the "solidness" is just not there, vs. the Ruger. Both are in the same price range, with a blue .45 LC or .357 Vaquero available NIB for $500 unless you MUST have a "Colt clone" I see no reason to not get the Ruger.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Uberti vs Ruger is almost an apples & oranges comparison. They're different products. The Uberti guns are replicas - says so right on the box. They're Colt clones without the Colt price and for someone who wants to have "the real deal experience" for a fraction of the cost it's a nice option. Uberti's bluing is much better than Ruger's and the case colored frames are the real deal and not a failed attempt using inks like Ruger tried years ago. The grip panel fit is generally better than Ruger so I think the edge in the fit and finish department does go to Uberti. The trigger in my Uberti was excellent right out of the box. No need for any tinkering with springs or the "poor boy trigger job". It just might be the best trigger I have on any of my SA revolvers which includes a half dozen 3 screw Rugers.

The Ruger is a modern interpretation of the SA revolver. The transfer bar system is inherently safer and Ruger CS will back it up forever. No doubt it is robust and strong and we may assume it is the stronger gun but unless you're a cowboy action shooter that shoots thousands upon thousands of rounds it's hard to really say which one will hold up longer. Cowboy action shooters shoot both but I doubt there's one individual who carries both, one in each holster, trying to do a head to head torture test comparison. I don't play that game so I'll leave that to those who do and perhaps a few more will chime in with their actual experience.

The question is much like the S&W 686 vs Ruger GP100 debate. Most will say the GP100 is stronger (even over on the S&W forum) but no one has ever proven this in any meaningful, scientific testing and the truth of the matter is no manufacturer really cares enough to spend the money on such testing.

The fact is very few owners ever put the rounds through any gun to the point of shooting it out. If you want a Colt experience at a fraction of the price the Uberti is a nice option. If you want a modern interpretation with a safer carry system and great CS Ruger has you covered.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Of course I owned all my Uberti BP and cartridge guns made before the "Beretta" era so I don't know what the new ones are like. They were fine, it seems prices jumped accordingly, though, if Beretta upped the mettallurgy on the Ubertis since they eventually learned people wanted to actually USE them:)

I used to buy 1860 Army Uberti clones brand new for $250-300 and they did OK but seemed more intended for the guy who shoots 50 rounds a year out of it. I read that CAS guys were breaking them shooting the cap and ball stages of the competitions so Cimarron started odering "premium" grade Ubertis, and then, they started making all of them better.

The catridge guns now come in "old" and "new" model, the new model is more "Ruger" like, with a transfer bar and coil spring, but I think the Old Model is for people who want the more traditional gun.

Even the cap and ball guns are close to $500 now.

I have kinda wanted a "Beretta Stampede" .357 , thought it would make a good set combined with the Special Edition "Army" M9 edition.

·
Premium Member
4,254 Posts
I don't own any Italian SAA clones but I do have several Uberti 1873 clones (357,45 Colt, 44 mag). The fit and finish is first rate, the actions are smooth and they're accurate.

I agree with pretty much everything ExArmy11B said about the clones and the Rugers. I don't get the 4 click infatuation either. It sounds and feels delicate to me. I prefer the robustness of the Rugers.

A lot of CAS shooters use Ruger revolvers and Uberti rifles. There are still plenty of other brands being used but the Ruger/Uberti combo is by far the most popular. Most of the guys I know shooting Italian SAA clones are doing so simply because of economics. They like the original SAA but can't afford or find real Colts. If you can find a pair of stock Colt SAA's its going to cost you about $3500 but you can get a pair of Italian SAA clones for under $1K. On top of that most folks worry more about wearing out their Colts than they do wearing out their clones. I'm not saying that's a valid concern but it's certainly the perception. Of course there are also folks shooting the heck out of their Colts and clones and they don't seem to be having any issues. Who knows?

I wouldn't mind having a real deal Colt SAA some day. I wouldn't mind an Italian clone either. Some of the clones are really good looking pistols. However, for CAS and all around shooting I'll stick with Ruger Vaqueros.

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
I bought an Iver Johnson Buckhorn (made by Uberti) 357 mag. in 1976 and I shot countless 1000's of heavily loaded 357's out of it for 39 years. I just recently gave it to my oldest daughter on a trip to Pennsylvania and other than some holster wear it still looks and shoots as new!

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
By the time I had the money saved up for a USFA "Omnipotent" they folded up and prices on the secondary market skyrocketed........

USFA's were considered equal to if not better than Colt and the prices certainly reflected it, the USFA's weren't cheap. They did make a "basic" model that I think was still about $6-700. USFA is long gone now.

I always wished someone would make a good clone of the Colt 1878 DA, I just love the looks of those and originals are far too fragile to shoot. An 1878 clone with modern lockwork, would sell very well I would think, along with a real DA Lightning and Thunderer clone, in .357 and .41 Magnum.........the originals were obviously .38 Long Colt and .41 Long Colt, but with todays metallurgy they could be magnums.

Those Omnipotents were neat looking, pretty much a Single Action 1878, I think my chances of getting one are pretty much gone unless I pay the price........I wanted one in .38 Special.

Attachments

·
Registered
680 Posts
That would be neat if Ruger could modify one of their SA clones to double action / single to mimic that action with a modern transfer bar. I would totally consider it, seriously.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts