Ruger Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had hopes today of busting out some bowling pins at my friends 30 acre sandbox, but he wasn't around and I don't like to just show up and blast away without asking first, so I ended up at the indoor range down the road.

I brought one box CCI Trailblazer 230 grain .45 colt. I also had a couple bags of 100 count Williams ammo but they stayed in the car with the bowling pins.

While the gun is proportionately "correct" looking with a 6.5" barrel it does make for a very top heavy gun, on what is already a hefty piece. Shooting one handed for only a few minutes tired my arm to the point where it was no fun at all. My 45 Vaquero feels like a 22 compared to this Uberti. The smooth fake ivories are slippery and left me searching for the trigger a couple times. The added spur on the guard is a good place to rest your left index finger with the two handed grip - I did my best shooting in that position.

The first 4 shots were left at 25 feet; vertically it seemed to shoot spot on. The gun has fixed sights (the rear notch is downright tiny) so there's not much I could do but aim a little right. Course, I'm a notoriously bad shot anyway, and now with bi-focals I can only really focus on the front sight. Which is why I usually buy heavy handguns, knowing that at some point in a melee I'll probably have to wield it as a club.

The 2nd target is a combination of one handed/two handed shooting also at 25 & 50 feet.

One thing I really liked was the ease of loading and unloading a top break. This is the first one I've owned, and once I got a little more familiar with it I was going along at a pretty good clip. I only loaded 5 rounds at a time and closed the gun on the empty chamber. Shooting gloves would have been nice. No doubt would have cured the slippery grip issue, and also for handling the hot barrel at reload time with my left hand.

Ubertis (at least the ones I've owned) are known for back spraying in your face but this one didn't really do much of that. Although, because I kept expecting it, it took a while to stop the flinching impulse, which didn't help my aim any.

All in all I really like this Russian. It lives on it's good looks and classic lines, and could only have been made a more suitable shooter at the expense of styling. The fact I could hit body mass at 50 feet is a bonus.

Now, it's off to the clean room [xx(]

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I've always had a soft spot for them top breaks. The only ones i've ever owned were an iver johnson 38 s&w and an h&r sportsman .22 lr. Both don't hold a candle to what you got! That is one very good thing about the CAS getting so popular is that so many of the interesting older gun designs are getting a new lease on life again.

Thanks for the range report!!
Congrats on obtaining such a fine weapon!!

·
Premium Member
3,002 Posts
Wow! I really like the looks of that. I'm like deputy125 - had some old cheap ones years ago and really liked the idea of top break. Good shooting!

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Very pretty gun sounds like lots of fun shooting. Actually the S&Ws were pretty popular in the 1800s more so than the movies would lead us to believe. They were used & issued in the calvary too. Nice gun you should enjoy it. Frank

1 - 6 of 6 Posts