Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,888 Posts
Those sights have had a rough time of it. They are ground down and rounded over, as well as rusted. If replacement sights are available that would be option #1. If replacements are not available, or if you don't want to spend the money, then cleaning up and squaring off the rear of the sights with a file is option #2. Repaint with flat black enamel modeling paint. Bright orange on the front sight works well for me.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I cleaned dots with tooth brush and alcohol twice. Rear dots are almost 100% clean, front dot started to show paint.
There are glowing paints, orange, yellow and green. Did you use glowing paint? AFAIK green is brightest.

·
Super Moderator
21,346 Posts
Never had any luck with the glow in the dark paint, just doesn't last very long. I use a 3 coat process for painting front sights: base coat white nail polish, then when dry I put a bright orange acrylic paint then a coat of top coat clear nail polish. Gives a bright sight with a lasting finish.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Terry, very interesting idea to paint white first, then orange.
HomeDepot sells bright paint, maybe I'll try.

·
Super Moderator
21,346 Posts
The white nail polish gives it a tough base and the top coat nail polish gives it durability.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I tried glow paint once . Better off with nail polish . What kind of gun is it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts