Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was putting on my Meprolight front sight last night when I noticed the pin in the top of the frame near the rear sight is missing. Dang it. Probably lost it at the range last week and just now noticed it.

I'm assuming it would not be wise to shoot without it - can't be good for the rear sight at least, right? Guess I'll be hunting for a replacement at Brownells or Midway. And maybe a tube of blue loctite? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
134 Posts
A simple finishing nail can be found that fits perfectly, snip it to size, smooth the ends and put a very slight bend in the pin to help retention.

5 Min. fix.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Or, when you install the replacement, just bend it very slightly & tap flush.
It'll never jump ship again.
No need for any type of glue. :)
Denis

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
As said, call Ruger and get a new one. They will send it free of charge (no doubt). Then put a very slight bend in it and tap it home flush. All done.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
If you know the diameter or your sight pin. I would go to Ace Hardware & pick up a harden steel roll pin the same diameter they usually have the pin you would need. Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Or, when you install the replacement, just bend it very slightly & tap flush.
It'll never jump ship again.
No need for any type of glue. :)
Denis
+1
I think that's the best answer and what I've done to mine.

-1K on using a finishing nail.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Does anyone have a pic of the pin with a "very slight" bend?

My pin backs out after shooting and I keep pushing it back in. I need to do this bent pin trick and don't want to risk breakage. Guess I need to ask Ruger for a couple of spare pins.

It's the only flaw I've discovered in the GP-100 design.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Not more than 10° is required. Just enough to put some drag in the hole. I think I put mine in a pair of plyiers and tapped it on the bench.

It really doesn't take much. The pin isn't cast so it isn't brittle.

You'll know if you haven't bent it enough when you put it back in; you'll be able to push it in with your finger.

If bent properly, gentle taps with a tool will be required.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
You can just bend it slightly outside the gun, or tap it sideways a couple times with it sticking about halfway out of its channel in the gun.

No degree from Cal Tech required, no YouTube video needed. :)

An extremely simple mechanical procedure, you just bend it enough to where it shows resistance going in fully, then you tap it in flush.

You can easily tell if it's bent enough.
Denis

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Does anyone have a pic of the pin with a "very slight" bend?

My pin backs out after shooting and I keep pushing it back in. I need to do this bent pin trick and don't want to risk breakage. Guess I need to ask Ruger for a couple of spare pins.

It's the only flaw I've discovered in the GP-100 design.
It's simple. Drift the pin out about half way. Give it a gentle tap until it is no longer straight but has a slight bend in it. Tap it back in. Done.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts