Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's what I'm thinking about doing....Selling my .357 LCR and buying a 2.25" .357 SP101. What do y'all think about that? I've never carried any other revolver other than the LCR. Anyone carry a SP with the spur on the hammer? Overall thoughts....good idea, bad idea?

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Never liked the LCR (or LCP & LC9 for that matter).

SP101..... now you're talking..... :D

·
Registered
115 Posts
Don't sell the LCR, it is an excellent concealment piece. The SP101 is significantly larger, almost as large as a medium frame revolver. More appropriate for open carry on a belt. I had Tex Shoemaker make a double speedloader pouch for me that fits five-shot speedloaders and has a 1 3/4" belt loop, perfect for a lightweight carry rig. That and a Bianchi #5 holster and a B4 belt would be super convenient.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I have that SP-101. Great gun. A little heavy, but not bad with a good belt & does help take up the recoil.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I'm thinking you should keep the LCR, and buy an SP101. Never hurts to have a gun for every occasion ... :)

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't sell the LCR, it is an excellent concealment piece. The SP101 is significantly larger, almost as large as a medium frame revolver. More appropriate for open carry on a belt. I had Tex Shoemaker make a double speedloader pouch for me that fits five-shot speedloaders and has a 1 3/4" belt loop, perfect for a lightweight carry rig. That and a Bianchi #5 holster and a B4 belt would be super convenient.
I forgot to mention that I also have the .38 LCR. I would still have the LCR option if I sold my .357 version. I'm also used to carrying a Caracal C which is the exact same size as the Glock 19. I can conceal it just fine with a t shirt, so I dont think the SP would be a problem to conceal.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Have a 2.25" SP101, with a hammer spur, and I carry it with no problem. Can't speak to the LCR or how it compares.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have a 2.25" SP101, with a hammer spur, and I carry it with no problem. Can't speak to the LCR or how it compares.
That's good to hear. I didn't know if anyone had a problem with the spur digging into your side or snagging on clothing. I would rather have one with the spur.

·
Registered
838 Posts
LCR and SP101 are the same size, only difference is LCR has larger trigger guard and SP has 3/8" longer barrel, the SP101 fits in the LCR holster. Both use the same speed loaders and both are compact and conceal equally well. The SP101 being all stainless steel is about 8 oz. heavier so the added weight is what is felt when it is carried but it makes it much more pleasant when shooting .357 heavy loads. I love the LCR because of it's lite weight, but the SP101 is not that bad either. I usually carry.38+P in the LCR because of recoil.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Do you like to shoot your revolvers at the range...if so....there is no comparison *SP101* is the winner!
I carried both, LCR .38 and now the .357 SP in 3". Glad I sold to LCR and I will never sell the SP. The SP is a lot more fun to shoot even in .357 then the LCR in .38!

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I have the SP 2.25 and it is a great little gun. Digests 357 loads pretty good with the Hogue rubber grips.
For carry I use an Uncle Mikes clip on and it does just fine. I don't carry concealed so I can't help ya there.

·
Registered
129 Posts
sp 101

I have an SP101 2.25 in 357 that I carry, I don't think you will have any problems. The only problem I have is the part about selling one gun to get another..... I thought we are just supposed to keep adding to the collection! Maybe it's just me...... Anyone else have this "problem" ???

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have an SP101 2.25 in 357 that I carry, I don't think you will have any problems. The only problem I have is the part about selling one gun to get another..... I thought we are just supposed to keep adding to the collection! Maybe it's just me...... Anyone else have this "problem" ???
Haha :) Yeah, that used to be a problem with me too, but after doing it a couple of times, it doesn't bother me at all. I'm saving up to add another one to the collection right now anyway. I just don't want to take any money away from my bolt action build right now. :)

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I just priced it to a co-worker that is looking for one aaannnnd....it looks like it may be sold. Cross your fingers. :D

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I forgot to mention that I also have the .38 LCR. I would still have the LCR option if I sold my .357 version.....
Apparently a bit late here, but in the same situation I would sell the .38 LCR. Then you would have both in .357, with option of .38.

I like my LCR-357 much better than I would the .38.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Apparently a bit late here, but in the same situation I would sell the .38 LCR. Then you would have both in .357, with option of .38.

I like my LCR-357 much better than I would the .38.
Humm.....yeah, that would've been a good idea. It's not totally out of the question yet. I may have to do that if it's possible.

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
I'd get the SP101 in a heart beat. I have no problem with poly semi-autos, but just can't get enthused over poly revolvers.

·
Retired Moderator & Jazz Nerd
16,351 Posts
I forgot to mention that I also have the .38 LCR. I would still have the LCR option if I sold my .357 version. I'm also used to carrying a Caracal C which is the exact same size as the Glock 19. I can conceal it just fine with a t shirt, so I dont think the SP would be a problem to conceal.
LS ... Here's an alternative thought ... Sell the .357 version and given the fact that you like CZs, get yourself a 2075 RAMI (excellent little carry pistol) :D

·
Registered
350 Posts
An argument in favor of keeping the LCR-357 & getting an SP101 in the same caliber is interchangeability of ammunition. They'll both fire .357 Magnum, & .38 Special, & .38 Special +P ... just something to consider.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
LS ... Here's an alternative thought ... Sell the .357 version and given the fact that you like CZs, get yourself a 2075 RAMI (excellent little carry pistol) :D
Ahhhhh! You're killing me Buck! :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts