Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ruger mk11 long rifle pistol.
Need pointed in right direction. Trying to clean and can't get back hing to come out . Behind grip where you use a paper clip to open. Won't cock and can't move safety . Thanks

·
Registered
53 Posts
Djlay57,

I assume that you cleared the gun before you started. If not, take it to a gunsmith.

Assuming that you are putting the pistol back together. When this has happened to be in the past, it is usually the hammer strut was in the wrong position when you tried to reinstall the mainspring.

try (you may need to insert an empty magazine) pointing the gun muzzle down, pull the trigger. Don't release the trigger and see if you can pull the mainspring back out.

try (it will be difficult) putting muzzle up and cycling the bolt as much as you can...you can also shake/jiggle the gun. Keeping the muzzle up, see if you can pull the mainspring back out.

try repeating #2 and pull the trigger. Keep holding the trigger and see if it will release. If not, release the trigger and see if you can pull the mainspring loose.

Keep playing with it. Always try to play with the cycling the bolt, sooner or later it should release.

When it does release, the trick to putting these back together is to pay attention to where the hammer strut is when you reinstall the mainspring, always muzzle down, push bolt pin through bolt and frame, pull trigger and hold it, point upwards and close the mainspring lever. (Or follow the directions in the manual.)

I can break my down (mainspring, barrel, and bolt) and reassemble the gun easily in less than 30 seconds. You have to be patient and repeat breaking it down and reassembling the gun multiple times. Once you get the knack for it, you'll love the gun. Until then, it can be frustrating.

Good luck,
PaJ

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ooops. just reread your post. You are taking it apart. Follow the video. (Clear gun, pull trigger, drop magazine, pull mainspring locking lever up, put thumb on heel of grip, rotate bottom of mainspring out and pull down.) If this is the first time you have taken the gun apart, you may need to tap the top of the bolt retaining pin lightly with a non-marring mallet LIGHTLY. I've never had one that I needed to do this with...thumb pressure has always been enough.

Good luck.
PaJ

·
Registered
184 Posts
I've had/have three Mark ii's and Mark iii's, all new guns. I've never been able to push out the bolt retaining pin with just thumb pressure, not when new and not when disassembled several times. It's a tight fit!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I guess I'm painting a different picture with my words than I intended to do. It's not pushing on the bolt retaining pin with your thumb. It's pulling on the mainspring locking lever with several fingers and your thumb braced on the heel of the grip for added leverage.

I have a Mark I ca 1961 and a new Mark III 22/45. The Mark I my dad bought new. It's the gun I learned how to shoot pistol with. Both of mine have always popped right out. Different guns/different snugness.

PaJ

·
Registered
947 Posts
If this is the MKIII 22/45 you're talking about, you'll have to remove the magazine in order to fully open up the mainspring latch because the latch lever will strike the mag body and prevent it from opening if the mag is installed while attempting to open.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Ruger mk11 long rifle pistol.
Need pointed in right direction. Trying to clean and can't get back hing to come out . Behind grip where you use a paper clip to open. Won't cock and can't move safety . Thanks
Two things: 1. read and re read the operators manual over and over until you have committed each instruction to memory. Then go to youtube and follow exactly the instructions on any one of a dozen excellent videos, leave your laptop open with the video queued up watch each step and execute. then the next and so on.

2 I suspect that bullseye hit the nail on the head. you have to drop the mag befor the mainspring will come out.

Lastly, do yourself a favor and get any of the replacement bushings out there. If you do not feel confident. Get a blacksmith to install this if you do not feel confident to do it for yourself. The reason is that it will make disassembly and reassembly so much easier you wont believe it.

Good luck and you will love using this pistol.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts