Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Unable to dissassemble MARK III Lite

Ok, very frustrated. I've been working on this for hours. I've watched every video and read everything I can possible read on this.

Obviously, after cleaning my Mark III Lite, the hammer (or cheese) was in the wrong position. Now I am unable to remove the mainspring housing because of this problem. I've tried all steps to ensure the hammer goes back to the right position including, insert magazine, point up, point down, spin around and pull trigger while tapping three times on a block of wood while holding it upside down and trigger pulled all of the way to the rear....NOTHING!

All instructions, videos, websites say to manually uncock the hammer by hooking the sear spring. My problem is, because of the polymer grip hosing on the LITE, I am unable to get to the spring.

Again, very frustrated and a huge lesson learned on my end. Now, what do I do. I hate to get rid of it because I enjoyed shooting it, but this is ridiculous.

Thoughts? A video would be great specifically for the Mark III LITE. Ugh...frustrated.

Thank you for listening to me whine and hopefully, someone out there can offer some advice.

Tony

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Welcome from Australia mate.
Glad to have you on board, nice folk here and lots of good info.

Have a look through here.

2245 Maintenance Page

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank You...pleasure being here.

I appreciate your guidance. I think that would work except I do no have the barrel removed yet so I am unable to get to the trigger assembly from the top as described in the instructions OR I may be reading them wrong.

Thanks again,
Tony

·
Registered
86 Posts
This exact thing has happened to me several times. I can't tell you exactly how to get it back apart, because while I was fiddling with it, it just happened. I suspect it has something to do with the hammer strut getting stuck behind the mainspring. This is what I was doing when I "fixed" it:

Insert empty magazine, pull trigger, flip upside down, release trigger, point barrel up and remove magazine.

I know that's not much of an answer, but that's what worked for me. Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This exact thing has happened to me several times. I can't tell you exactly how to get it back apart, because while I was fiddling with it, it just happened. I suspect it has something to do with the hammer strut getting stuck behind the mainspring. This is what I was doing when I "fixed" it:

Insert empty magazine, pull trigger, flip upside down, release trigger, point barrel up and remove magazine.

I know that's not much of an answer, but that's what worked for me. Good luck!
Thanks....Haha...I know what you mean...Nothing is working. I'm already not comfortable using a hammer on this firearm. This has me really confuzzled! Thanks again!

·
Registered
947 Posts
You can't tap it on to a block of wood you have to slam the muzzle downward onto the wood while holding the trigger in the rearward position and having an empty magazine in the frame. Don't be shy, smack it hard to move the hammer into the fully forward position. There's too much internal friction to just pop it onto the wooden block and expect the hammer to move forward. The wood will protect your muzzle.

R,
Bullseye

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Thanks....Haha...I know what you mean...Nothing is working. I'm already not comfortable using a hammer on this firearm. This has me really confuzzled! Thanks again!
Hi tlardarello
First welcome to the forum. See Bullseye's post this man is a master at these guns.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I broke down my Lite as soon as I bought it....went to to put it back together, and found out why so many people complain about it being a PITA. I watched a couple vids, took it all apart (don't recommend this unless your very very bored or have done this type of thing before and are somewhat mechanically inclined)and now it all goes back together without a hitch.

Main thing to remember is the last few steps in reassembly. Everything else is cake. If you can't remember whether or not the mag has to be in the well or ejected, grab the manual or try both ways and see what happens(or just take that stupid mag disconnect off and be done with it). I'm sure you've done this a million times like I did though. Before I put the bolt back in I make sure the hammer is horizontally flat before I move forward. The hammer strut (black blade bar dangling off the bottom of the hammer which can be viewed from the rear of the pistol)will often times get caught on the internals of the frame preventing the hammer from moving...this will cause you hours of pain of you don't realize this as I did.

A little jiggling and the strut should free itself...insert the bolt stop pin and be sure the strut rides the mainspring housing and fits preciscely in the little oval groove on the housing itself. Whenever I can't get the strut to move freely, I just pull the trigger, take a punch or long object and move the hammer just a tad upward so the strut dangles again.

If you think you have it right...just before you lock the mainspring housing, push the housing in and toward the trigger, you should feel a springy resistance. If you do not, something is wrong. Here's a couple vids that helped me a lot. The second one saved my a$$ when I foolishly popped the hammer pin all the way out. I hope this helps.

Ruger Mark III Disassembly and Assembly - YouTube

Ruger 22/45 Mark III Detail Reassembly - YouTube

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sorry its late, just read the problem again and realized all that was for nothing. I'm lost as to how you even got the mainspring housing to fully close with the hammer in the wrong position...anyway, not too sure to how to help now besides doing what Bullseye said. That's a real $hitter you can't get to any of that since nothing can come apart! Let us know how it turns out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts