Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ones opinion of the ultimate GP100 is subjective, but here's mine. When I was a young police officer in the 70s we still carried revolvers, mostly Colts or S&Ws. The early Rugers were considered utilitarian (cheap revolvers). Over the years Ruger developed the design culminating in the excellent GP100 which everyone considers to be right up there with Colt or S&W. I recently bought a Match Champion with adjustable sights and after shooting it I thought this is one of Rugers best revolvers, and I still think so. Then I stumbled upon what I now consider the ultimate GP100, the 3" Wiley Clapp version. The Match Champion has a really good double action but this new WC is even better. The 3" barrel balances perfectly and will be a great carry gun. Anyone considering a GP100 would do well to look at both these versions. I'm happy I own both but if it came to to choosing one it would be the Wiley Clapp.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I hear ya. Too shiny though. Shoulda got the blue one. Or send it to Waveform for some cerakote. :p

Just kidding. Nice pair.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have a 6" blue GP100. It is wonderful to shoot. Nice and heavy.
My 4-inch GP stainless isn't near as nice (yet). Front sights that are easy and quick to change and internal parts easily to service make this gun my favorite.
I want another half-dozen please.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Those GPs are certainly nice and I am glad that you found your "ultimate" GPs. I suppose that "ultimate" means different things to each of us. My ultimate GP was the Royal Phoenix that I was finally able to acquire. (I love high polish blue guns) That GP will follow me to my grave. :)

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Nice pair of GPs. You sir have excellent taste.

That Match Champion looks great with those Lett style grips.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Nice! I'm rather fond of the GP100 also and I have a few as well. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Very nice guns:)

I love all Ruger DA revolvers, with the slight edge going to my GP's since they tend to be "tighter" than my Sixes and have slightly better actions. A few of my Sixes have a little bit of "yoke shake" but they all work as designed. The crane lock of the GP is a far superior advancement.

I love GP100's so much I'm working on having one converted to 9mm Para/.38 Super and also a 10mm conversion, so I can shoot two of my favorite calibers (9mm Para and .40) from my favorite type of gun, also have the advantage of .38 Super and 10mm if I choose.

The .38 Special is still alive and well with me, I have many .38 Special GP100's as well as .357's, and a .327. I love them all. The 3" 1751 in the pic, with a target fired with generic Fiocchi at 25 yards mostly in DA, with some SA "sighters" in there, is my idea of "perfect". It shoots as well if not better than any Smith I have owned,in fact I have traded away all the S&W's in my collection except those that have sentimental attachment, which are mostly just either occasional "range queens" or just guns I want to hold on to, if not use as shooters much anymore. I semi-jokingly call the GP100 the "gun that made S&W obsolete" :) I had wanted a 2.5" or 3" S&W 686, then I got this 3" GP........I don't want a snub 686 anymore:)

I also have a blued (matte Hawkeye?) Wiley Clapp on layaway, can't wait to get it. I'm sure a stainless WC will follow it at some point.

I like the Lett style grips on the Match Champion, I also have a plan to put one of those on layaway, I think I like the look of the Letts on yours, I may go with something like that for mine.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Ultimate GP100.

My "Ultimate GP100"..... ;)
Model 1705.
The 4.2 " bbl is the minimum length I can own in a revolver this side of the pond.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I like em all, but my favorite is my Hawkeye Blued Wiley Clapp. A Match Champion is also very high on my "NEED" list as well. Nice guns you got there.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Looking at your wonderful pictures in a do-I-need-one-of-those frame of mind, I wonder if the Canadian half lug 4.2" isn't the ultimate GP100. I considered one of the special 3" guns like you have but don't want a matte finish and I prefer adjustable sights. I found the standard finish in 3" with adjustable sights and in 38 Special. I am having it converted to 41 Special and all the sharp corners softened.

I like yours, because it is bound to suit 357 Magnum better than the 3" SP101.

·
Registered
66 Posts
What a pair!

I have the match champion and it is one of my faves. But that Wiley would look great along side it. Better check my powerball ticket.....

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Very nice pair of revolvers! I've been a fan of the GP100 since it's introduction. I've also always been a fan of 3 in bbl revolvers. Then I found the model 1751 3 incher with adjustable sights in .38 spcl and I was hooked. I now have that one paired with a 5 inch bbl model and life is good!:D

·
Registered
294 Posts
Very nice guns:)

.... I semi-jokingly call the GP100 the "gun that made S&W obsolete" :) ...
I'm another fan of the 3" revolver. I had a 3" S&W K-frame Model 65 that I had to sell a decade ago when money was tight and I've been thinking that a 3" GP100 would be the perfect replacement. (Plus there are no concerns shooting full house magnum loads with the GP).

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I have both the Canadian 3" and 4" half lug DAO .357 GP's, they make great, simple utility guns.

No single action to mess with, fixed sights, stainless, and both have decent actions. They really are the "everything you NEED nothing you don't" guns.

I would have to say the "ultimate" GP100 is subjective, everyone who loves GP100's will have a different "ultimate" version of the gun:) Lots of people want a 5-shot .44 Magnum GP100 but I think Ruger is doing a great job with bringing out the Kodiak Backpacker, Alaskans and 4" Redhawks.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts