Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
I don't know about that one but they make good products. I have thousands of rounds fired with one and have had no trouble.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What do you think about the 37mm objective...compared to whatever the one you have is...

The two biggest drawbacks to my TRS-25 for me are FOV and quality of the clicks and lack of adjustment range...

If I get one it will go on my Charger with WP barrel...which I normally use the TRS-25 on...

·
Registered
784 Posts
I have the Ultradot and really like it. It is good for outdoor shooting where and because of the polarizing filter I don't loose the dot in the sun. Yiogo

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Who has one...

Ultradot 6

------------------
Okay...I have one... not off to a good start tho... came with dead battery... :mad:

More importantly... from looking at the pictures the Dot appeared to have a 32mm objective...however...all the product literature says 37mm...hard to believe...

Additionally...the specs sheets on the ultra dot website say the 30mm tube dots have +/- 23' of adjustment...which is way too good to be true...

So prior to placing an order I contacted ultra dot west...they couldn't tell me anything not on the spec sheet what the O.D. of the object bell was nor could they confirm the adjustment range...several days later they have not gotten back with answers although they did acknowledge my request...

So I figured this is more or less typical these days (although first class web sites like Leupold.com always give all the real dimensions and the true adjustment range you can count on their published information and don't have to call them)... meaning they all seem to operate in the mode of you have to order it to find out what it really is... :mad:

So I did...it's here...

I can't tell what the adjustment range is because there is NO dot to adjust...

However...the 37mm is not the objective lens diameter...it's the housing O.D. ...if this was Leupold rifle scope...the specified objective size would be 28mm...I am not impressed by this... :mad:

They list the FOV as "unlimited"...it's not...whoever did their literature was probably told that the eye relief was unlimited but they muffed it...

I really don't buy any excuses for products in this price range regarding erroneous product literature...

On the plus side...it's obviously well made...the elevation Target Turret is spiffy and that is a big deal to me...the clicks seem infinitely better than the TRS-25 and my VX-1 scope for solid clicks (another big deal to me)...optical quality is obviously good...even I can see that... :D

If it has a very good E/W range and the tracking is tight, linear, repeatable then it will probably all work out in the end...

If NOT... it's going back...

I'll let you all know how it goes...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hay Zommy,
Was hopping I would hear from you. If you would be willing to send me you're e-mail, I could e-mail you from time to time. I really don't know what to do. I can get the ultra dot 6 for 220 with free shipping. I can get the NcStar see thru rail for about 5 or 6 dollars free shipping. I just don't know if I will be able to fit it in to the bag that came with the 1022 TD. The ultra dot match 11 is the same scope but only has a 30mm tube including the bell, where the ultra dot 6 has a 37mm bell. Truth is, tha's is not a big difference. Also I understand the ultra dot 6 has more adjustment ranges than the Ultradot match 11. That could be important. Zommy do me a favor if you would and see if you are able to find out if that set up would fit the bag or not. my hands are really tied as to what I can find out up here. I think you have my e-mail address. if not just let me know. I hate to pass up the 220 dollar price with free shipping. Get back to me soon if you can. The length of the sight is only 5.1 inch and The weight os 5.3 oz Thanks in advance Zommy.
PS I will try and send you some pictures of the 1022 with the ATI stock and Rv9 scope as soon as I can figure out how to do it.

Pwek

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am very interested to get a review out of you. Got a perfect rail to hang that thing on - if u feel advisable. What the $$$. Also - responded to you about the ATN SHOT TRAC.
I got it from optics planet...their price at that moment was 245...the day I ordered it they also had 10% off...comes with rings that will get it done...

Going to take me a while to be able to say just how much I like it...don't want to speak too soon if you know what I mean...

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hay Zommy,
Was hopping I would hear from you. If you would be willing to send me you're e-mail, I could e-mail you from time to time. I really don't know what to do. I can get the ultra dot 6 for 220 with free shipping. I can get the NcStar see thru rail for about 5 or 6 dollars free shipping. I just don't know if I will be able to fit it in to the bag that came with the 1022 TD. The ultra dot match 11 is the same scope but only has a 30mm tube including the bell, where the ultra dot 6 has a 37mm bell. Truth is, tha's is not a big difference. Also I understand the ultra dot 6 has more adjustment ranges than the Ultradot match 11. That could be important. Zommy do me a favor if you would and see if you are able to find out if that set up would fit the bag or not. my hands are really tied as to what I can find out up here. I think you have my e-mail address. if not just let me know. I hate to pass up the 220 dollar price with free shipping. Get back to me soon if you can. The length of the sight is only 5.1 inch and The weight os 5.3 oz Thanks in advance Zommy.
PS I will try and send you some pictures of the 1022 with the ATI stock and Rv9 scope as soon as I can figure out how to do it.

Pwek
Perk I am not familiar with the details of that rail...what I can tell you right now is the bell is 37mm O.D. if it was a 37mm objective as literature would lead one to believe the O.D. would be in the 47mm range which would be very significant for fitment purposes...such ring heights and clearances etc....as it stands it is the same size objective bell O.D. (approx) as your RV9...so you are right...the bell is not going to matter...the rings are taller than the bell...

So consider it a 32mm scope that is only 6" long with 30mm ocular bell...your receiver is also 6"...

What I can tell you is that the saddle height of the rings that come with it are very close to .3"... and that it will mount with lots of clearance to the factory rail for your TD...the bell will stick out past the front of the receiver some on the factory rail...if you have a Weaver 430T multi-slot rail I suggest you use it...if not...order one when you order your dot...it will come in handy...

When you mount it to a 430T rail with the rings in the package the center of the tube will be approximately 1.7" above the center of the bore...lower on the factory rail by approx. .1"...the 430T allows a lot more fore/aft options...the short space on the tube for mounting limits that too...

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The good news for me is that the published specs for the adjustment range are correct...awesome... :D

Mounting the way I want to is going to be pita because of the limited options in 30mm rings...oh well...

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Perk...

If you are going to mount it a higher rail and want to keep the total height down you might want these rings..

Barska 30mm Weaver-Style Rings Matte Low

I am going to get a pair but don't know when...these are the lowest I have found so far that don't have a bad rap...I tried some b-square rings...the won't clamp tight to any of my rails w/o some work...and they are taller...and the extra width makes mounting more of a challenge...

BTW...I have no idea what does or doesn't fit in the TD bag...I don't have one...

You might be interested in this... http://rugerforum.net/optics/83571-10-22-td-scope-project.html?

Bottom line is that I suspect you will like the UD6 pretty good...fitting in the bag is definitely doable if you give on the high rail...and use lower rings than comes with the dot...

A TRS-25 red dot is a lot smaller...I have one...it's not bad all things considered...the UD6 is a lot better...

·
Registered
5,484 Posts
The good news for me is that the published specs for the adjustment range are correct...awesome... :D

Mounting the way I want to is going to be pita because of the limited options in 30mm rings...oh well...
Great news for you Zommy. Hope it works out for you. Sorry I couldn't be of any help with your decision but it looks like you and the UD6 were destined for each other. :D

·
needs more ammo
1,096 Posts
I am surprised none of you have one of these...
:D

I looked seriously into the Ultradot 6 back in the summer due to Ultradot's great reputation with target shooters. However, I went with another red dot since I was mounting on an AR.

I'm glad you got one though. I'm interested in what you think about the reticle selections?

I have a cheap Simmons branded Chinese copy of a Ultradot Matchdot, but with multiple reticles (not just dots). It has been tried on three different guns (all rimfires) and is pretty decent for a cheapo. However, I'm thinking if I go down the red dot path again, perhaps the Ultradot 6 is worth considering. I do like the option of reticles over dots since a reticle is easier for me to pick up in bright sunlight.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Great news for you Zommy. Hope it works out for you. Sorry I couldn't be of any help with your decision but it looks like you and the UD6 were destined for each other. :D
No apologies and I think you are right...

One thing I would like to know that should be easy is what is the lens diameter of your 30mm MDII...the portion that is expose that you can actually see thru...I am curious to know how difference there is between the two...the exposed lens on the UD6 is 28mm... inches or mm is fine... Thanks...

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
:D

I looked seriously into the Ultradot 6 back in the summer due to Ultradot's great reputation with target shooters. However, I went with another red dot since I was mounting on an AR.

I'm glad you got one though. I'm interested in what you think about the reticle selections?

I have a cheap Simmons branded Chinese copy of a Ultradot Matchdot, but with multiple reticles (not just dots). It has been tried on three different guns (all rimfires) and is pretty decent for a cheapo. However, I'm thinking if I go down the red dot path again, perhaps the Ultradot 6 is worth considering. I do like the option of reticles over dots since a reticle is easier for me to pick up in bright sunlight.
I can see why they have a great rep with target shooters as a brand...and precision out to 100m (someday but for now more like 50m) is what I was looking for specifically...

Its easy to understand how the cross and circle would appeal to a lot of people...especially and AR...where speed and hitting a bigger target are more typical...but I really don't do that...reason is simple...my other 22 is 12ga...and all I need at short range is the bead on the end of the barrel...that technology been doing fine for me since 1965...if it's big enough to see I can hit it... :D

At some point I will use it out to 100m where that might cross might do me some good...but that will be a while to come...they simply distract me at this point...I am more interested in the 2moa dot...

I am disappointed that the objective lens is not really 37mm...I don't know that it would matter...possibly not...but no magnification and attempting to shoot small farther out standing off hand I found the TRS-25 was limiting me...not doing the gun justice as it can shoot .4" groups at 50yards...on the other hand...the light transmission is a whole lot better than the TRS-25...the polarizing lens is too dark for me...I can see where one would want it on a bright day in snow...

One comparison I can make is that the UD6 is better FOV, Brighter, with the see thru lens caps on than is the TRS-25 by itself...another thing I wasn't completely happy with the TRS-25 was the light transmission in low light...the UD6 w/o the lens caps is not what a good scope would be...but definitely a whole lot better than the TRS-25 imo...

It is probably no surprise to many of you...but I was finding that even tho the scope is more accurate than the TRS-25...I was able to hit small targets further away a lot easier with the dot shooting off hand than the scope...the scope cross hairs distract me...and while I can do better for few shots when not tired with the scope...the longer I am out there the more the cross hairs move about...the more they move...the longer it takes...the longer it takes the worse I do...

Now that I have a smaller, cleaner dot and much better light...w/o adding significant weight...combined with the TARGET TURRET...and precision adjustments...all of which were lacking with the TRS-25 the charger is going to be a lot better...I am hoping the UD6 will rival the scope at a bench rest out to 50m as well for tight groups...but I won't be disappointed if it doesn't...

The target turret is going to be fabulous for shooting past 50m with a 22...I know that for a fact from my Simmons scope with target turrets...

For a long time I wanted to combine the light weight and quality of the VX-1 2-7x28mm scope with target turrets and adjustable objective...several offerings in scopes come close like the Nikon P-22 2-7x32mm, and the Weaver RV9...if the Weaver had TT or the Nikon had AO it would have been a scope instead of a dot...the UD6 is the best of all them all for the charger at this time all things considered...

I am not sure about this...but since the size of the dot on a target is a good indication of the distance...at least for my uses...anything past 50 yards should be relatively easy to dial in from dope memory...it's a nice theory...it worked well with the Simmons using the AO/TT...but that scope is WAY too big and heavy for the charger...so I am hoping I can adapt to using the dot size to approximate distance instead of adjusting the objective...much faster...if the results are good...it will be fabulous...

Crappy pics...not properly mounted...best I can do for now... they eye level with the rings it came with is higher than I want...it's in the 1.75" range...eventually I want to get it down to 1.5" even if I have to mortify some rings and mount them directly to the receiver...if this dot works out the way I hope it will it will be worth the effort...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts