Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who other than CDNN has Ultra Lights left in inventory? I hope Ruger is just taking a time out with their production and with the production of the stainless 77s rather than permanently shutting down production.

·
Registered
748 Posts
With their whippy barrels many of them were not great shooters and they were more expensive to make with what was originally nice walnut with an ebony forecap. I think they might be back someday, but changed or dressed down.

Ruger is making money with the RAR, the 77 is too expensive for what it is and the profit margins are with the cheaper, easier to manufacture RAR.

All that said the 77 UL rifle is one of Rugers prettier creations, and a sweet little package.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well folks, I bought one. Cabelas had a few 30-06 in matte blue for $459. I got a 5% military discount off of that price and a $50 gift card during their big buck days on top of that. I need to have shoulder replacement surgery, so I am not excited about pulling the trigger, but I loaded up some mild loads pushing a 125gr ballistic tip which should make it manageable. I topped it with a VX2 in 3-9-40. It feels great in the hand.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Please post pics.
I tried to, but the tablet I am running is giving me fits. I'll do it when I get to a real computer. It's a handsome little rig. I ran some recoil calculators on it. It looks like I would see about a 10% increase in recoil energy with this rifle over a standard weight rifle with similar loads.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've never seen an M77 UL that looked like that... all of mine look like the top rifle in the pic below;

I'm looking for another one in .243 or .257 Roberts.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I have a Model 77 Ultra-Light in 25 Roberts. It will shoot minute of deer at 250 yards with no problem. I also have a M-77 RSI in 308 that is more than accurate enough for these woods, my best shot was over 100 yards with iron sights...

If I were to go hunting out West I would probably take my Model 70 Remington in 7mm Mag.

I like lightweight rifles, I also have a commercial Model 98 FN Mauser made in 1950 in 7x57 that even though it has a light barrel is extremely accurate.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've never seen an M77 UL that looked like that... all of mine look like the top rifle in the pic below;

I'm looking for another one in .243 or .257 Roberts.
I have a Roberts UL like the top one, but my wood is not nearly that nice. That is a fantastic looking stock.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts