Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am considering buying an SP101 with a 4.2 inch barrel in .357 magnum very soon and part of my consideration is in finding a serviceable holster.
I am aware of the small offering of leather holsters, but would prefer to have a nylon holster with greater resilience to weather and outdoor effects.

My main use for the revolver would be as a trail and backpacking gun, and I would hope to attach the holster to my hip belt on my backpack or day pack, similar to this person's rig:

From what I could gather the nearest holster matching my description would be the Bianchi UM84r holster for "Most Medium & Large Frame 4" Revolvers".
My concern is that the 4.2" barrel may be too long for such a holster, and stick out to an unsafe/annoying degree.

I also fear the draw out of the holster could be a concern with the HiViz fiber optic sight on the SP101.
Would the use of such a holster be more prone to catching or wear in a holster without a designed channel to direct the sight during drawing?

Please let me know your thoughts. I figure at least a few of you with GP100s on here ought to be familiar with the holster!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Could someone tell me which leather holsters will work with a sp101 with a 4.2 inch barrel. I would like a left handed high ride 3 slot pancake holster I will take what I can get. Right or left handed. I shoot equally poorly or good with either hand.

I want the long barreled SP101 to have bit more thump and accuracy in 180 grain bullets. I think 180 grain Remington Golden Saber at 1,200 or 1,300 FPS would do what I have in mind. If not a 200 grain hollow point or metal jacketed soft lead wadcutter at 1,100 or 1,200 Fps should do the job. For hard targets hard cast or flat tipped FMJ bullets at the 180 to 200 grain weight should take care of hogs and game smaller than Elk, Moose or bison.

Of course more powerful & accurate fire against armored 2 legged wild dogs has it attractions as well.

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Holster Advice

I can't speak to the ammo specifics, but I have heard good things about Simply Rugged pancake holsters. I also can't speak to the options you'll have for southpaw draws, but I'm sure if you reach out to them, you'll get what you need.

I ended up getting the UM84r holster, and have liked it so far despite a bit of extra space (as expected of a universal holster). I think the holster can be switched for lefties as well, but doesn't really match the leather aesthetic you're going for.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts