Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K. So I got myself in a little jam here. I have several 45 cartridges that I have pulled the bullit & droped the powder out of. Now, here's the question. What do I do with the live primer? I don't want to just throw the case w/the primer in it away. May be a safety issue/maby not. Do I stick it in a pistol & fire it? Do I drill a hole in a 2X4, stick it in the hole & hit the primer with a punch, or do I just not worry about it?[?]

·
Registered
557 Posts
Put it in the chamber and pop the primer.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Kansas45, don't do nuttin' till 2400 answers. 2400, I don't remember-25+ years ago-is it unsafe to use the decapping pin? I think I did that what few times I set one upside down--I lived in an apartment-don't think I popped 'em off? I think I just decapped them like they were dead primers-what's right?

·
Registered
421 Posts
I just put the shell back in the sizing die and knock out the primer to use again. Make sure you have safety glasses on. I've done it many times without any problems.

·
Registered
557 Posts
If you want to decap them go ahead, I just didn't want to give someone that advice. The primer will go off every once in a while.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Make sure you have on safty glasses and extra large pamper as you will fill it up fast when it goes BANG!!!!

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
O.K. Xtra large pampers, safety glasses & ear protection. Better run to Wal-Mart for the pant liners & stop at the liquor store for a bottle of bravery & I've got it made. Thanks everybody. I sure apprecite the good people on this forum! Someday I might tell you why I even need to remove the primers. Right now I'm a little to embarrassed to talk about it.

·
Registered
557 Posts
quote:Originally posted by kansas45

Someday I might tell you why I even need to remove the primers. Right now I'm a little to embarrassed to talk about it.

I could use a funny story right about now.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Baldy that was a good one---never knew reloading could be such a "moving" experience but that might do it at about 1 am.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Hey Kansas we all have made mistakes. It's no big deal as long as you learn from it, and don't hurt somebody.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank's, guys! I'll probably get around & do it later tonight.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Bet he put the primers in up side down. Do you think I would ever do something like that??? NOOOOO!!!! YUK!!YUK!! OK I did. About 20rds before I caught it. There I confessed. You know I feel better.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
O.K. You beat it out of me! I was trying to seat the bullit & crimp at the same time. It really dosen't work too good. At least for me.[B)] By the way none of them went off while I was de-primimg them. Anybody need a box of large box of depends? One of them is slightly used, but you can hardley tell.............[:I]

·
Registered
49 Posts
I would never put cases with unfired primers in a press and try to decap them with a pin. Sure, you can probably get by with it, by I think it's pushsing the envelope. I've never had a great number to do that to, but I just put them in the chamber of a gun and pop the cap. That seems to be the safest way.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello!!!!!!! If yer not into the anticipation of "BANG" just put a drop of oil in each case to neutralize the primers and have at it. There are probably other things that would do the trick as well, water, whiskey, stale beer.

·
Registered
346 Posts
kansas45,

From the hands of an experienced hand loader let me tell you how to recover seated primers without any loud noises or need for adult sized pampers.
First off, they are not C-4. If you pop one it's not going to blow you press up and kill your cat in the next room.

A- Safety glasses of course
B- Insert case into shell holder and slowly raise it into decapping die. ( I use a universal decapping die for this.)
C- When you feel the primer come in contact with the decapping pin slowly push the primer out.
D- Collect decapped primers and re-use as desired.

That's all there is to it. The key is going slow. Primers detonate with sudden hard impacts. A slow push will not detonate them.

Now let me tell you how I know this. Many years ago I owned a really nice Mauser Mk X 30-06. I got into financial dificulties and had to sell it. Had ammo I had loaded left over.
Years later I bought an Ishapore 2A No1 Mk 3 in 7.62 NATO. Bought dies but not enough funds for components.
Sitting around wandering what to do I remembered the 30-06 ammo. It was loaded with Win 760 powder, 165gr bullets and Winchester primers. I looked in my data books and found a suitable load for the 308 using these components and decided to recover and reuse them.

Popped all the '06 ammo apart using a collett bullet puller and poured the powder in a clean container. I then decapped over 200 live primers exactly as I described above. Putting them in several empty Win LR primer boxes for later use. For you paranoid types listen up: NOT ONE PRIMER DETONATED - NOT ONE.
I loaded up my 308s with these recovered components and so far all of them have fired.

Just go slow and gently and you can decap even upside down seated primers.

Joe

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.