Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a SP101 Double Action Revolver. I took it to the range today (first time ever fired) and shot a few .38's fine.

Then I switched to American Eagle 357 Magnum (158 grain jacketed soft point) and it also fired fine. But I could not eject the empty cases with the ejector rod, the empty cases were stuck. I eventually was able to get them out with my finger nails, but it took several minutes.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Robby

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
.38 spcl is a bit shorter than .357 magnum. If you went the other way & shot .357 before .38, you probably wouldn't have had that problem. I got a cylinder brush from Ruger.com that has 6 bristles on the end to clean the chambers in one quick motion vs's running a single brush through each chamber one at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Did you clean it thoroughly? 38s will tend to put a slight crud ring in the cylinders. I'd scrub each cylinder down and try it again. If the problem continues contact Ruger and tell them what's happening.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
.38 spcl is a bit shorter than .357 magnum. If you went the other way & shot .357 before .38, you probably wouldn't have had that problem. I got a cylinder brush from Ruger.com that has 6 bristles on the end to clean the chambers in one quick motion vs's running a single brush through each chamber one at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

this is a picture of the chamber brush, Ruger lists it as a speed brush. Can probably get one through Midway or Brownell's as well.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
This is very normal for revolvers that will shoot a longer and shorter round. The shorter round builds up carbon from the case forward in the cylinders. When you shoot a longer round, it binds the case.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I recently purchased a SP101 Double Action Revolver. I took it to the range today (first time ever fired) and shot a few .38's fine.

Then I switched to American Eagle 357 Magnum (158 grain jacketed soft point) and it also fired fine. But I could not eject the empty cases with the ejector rod, the empty cases were stuck. I eventually was able to get them out with my finger nails, but it took several minutes.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Robby
Always shoot the magnum cases first. Both cartridges are going to build a crud ring, but .357 after .38 special will be more difficult to eject.

But..shooting both size cases on one range event is going to create a longer and harder crud ring...

·
Registered
3,195 Posts

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Robby
The 38 Special rounds, being a tiny bit shorter than the 357, left a crud ring that caused the cases to stick. Give it a good cleaning and all will be well. I use a .40 caliber brush for my cylinder with some Hoppe's #9 solvent and it's clean in no time.

Next range trip, start with the 357s and end with the 38s.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I purchased a 20 y/o SP101 that only had about 500 rounds of .38s only fired in it. When I tried to load .357s they wouldn't seat properly.

I took 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper, cut a strip and taped it to a pencil. I would give it about 3 turns by hand then try to seat an unfired round again. I repeated this until I could drop the .357 round in with no problem and fall into my hand w/o ejector. It took several tries and then moved on to the next cylinder. Took about 2 hours to do all 5.

I now shoot both .38 and .357 w/o any problem. Of course I thoroughly clean it after each range session.

·
Cat Herder
1,549 Posts
I use a tornado brush (I think that is what it is called) occasionally, it does a really good job at removing build up. Not sure if one of the cylinder speedbrushes is made for the five round cylinders, clearance would be tight.

Some 38s leave more build up than others. I have a bunch of 38 wadcutters that I bought (police trade in 3D reman) that may be the dirtiest ammo I've used and build up the crud ring quickly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Robby, This happened to me too, this happened the first day at the range with my first 5 shots of American Eagle 158 grain JSP. Sent it back to Ruger, they replaced the cylinder, took it out again and the next 5 rounds also wouldn't eject without rapping hard on the ejector. My SP101 has been back at the factory now for 11 days, I'm waiting to hear what they say is causing the problem, you'd think a new revolver would eject factory ammo satisfactorily.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Robby, This happened to me too, this happened the first day at the range with my first 5 shots of American Eagle 158 grain JSP. Sent it back to Ruger, they replaced the cylinder, took it out again and the next 5 rounds also wouldn't eject without rapping hard on the ejector. My SP101 has been back at the factory now for 11 days, I'm waiting to hear what they say is causing the problem, you'd think a new revolver would eject factory ammo satisfactorily.
Fishnut: Please let me know how it turns out.

I've cleaned it thoroughly but haven't had a chance to try it again with .357's first.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Robby
I also had my casing stuck but unlike you I only fired 357 mag are there any answers for that? I always see the blame going to the 38 build up but mine has never been fired and still stuck so bad I have to push them out from the exit side with a pin

1 - 20 of 26 Posts