Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I walked my neighbor thru the purchase of his first firearm recently (Ruger MKIV target model) and mentored his unboxing and and orientation of the pistol. He asked me if the plastic storage bag was one he should keep and use for firearm storage. I told him I own a few aftermarket storage bags for my hideaway weapons but did not know if the Ruger provided bag was of that type.

Any thoughts on this?

da Colonel

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
My thoughts, and nothing more .......keep EVERYTHING, it may or may not help come resale time.........I pitch it all, but I don’t sell either.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I would keep everything. If you ever need to return the gun to the manufacturer for service, that plastic bag is waiting for you. I had to return one to Browning (long terrible story) and had to use a plastic storage bag to fill the inside of the Browning case so the gun didn't rattle around in it.

If you are going to keep the box, which you should ALWAYS do, why not keep the stuff that came in it with the gun?

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Have to say that I keep everything.
You just never know. Sure companies produce many of the same type of Firearms. As many will not have a Premium Value, maybe one just might fit the bill.

·
Exchequer
4,602 Posts
Yeah. I keep everything that comes with a new firearm - bags, tags, stickers, etc. Can't hurt if I decide to sell down the road.

However, I would not advise storing the pistol in any kind of plastic bag. I think that would trap moisture and could promote rust.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
A "complete package" can almost always benefit a later resale.

Than said, I wouldn't store the gun in the plastic bag or even the original box. Save those and all the "papers" for later and keep the gun in a nice, safe, padded gun case.

JMHO

:)

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
2,868 Posts
IMHO. I keep everything that comes with a new firearm. Not always hanging on to plastic bags but that's just me. If it has a Ruger label or emblem I hang on to it. I try to keep all things firearm related If I can.

·
Ruger Aficionado
1,101 Posts
I keep everything. If I store for any length of time, I wipe with a light oil and put it back in it's bag. I've been doing this for years without an issue.

I found without some kind of wrapper, they will wear a bit from sitting in the plastic box. Keep in mind, I have moved a lot over the years. I figure the factory packaging is set up that way for a reason.

·
Super Moderator
3,322 Posts
One must always keep a couple empty gun boxes leaning against the wall next to the safe, that way it’s not immediately obvious when there is a plus 1!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Got the hard plastic cases for both my Ruger P95 and Smith & Wesson 910.
I really doubt I'll ever get rid of any of my guns..........just let my two son's fight over them.

I've found the best thing is to keep all my firearms in is a silicone impregnated gun sock........They have one for long arms and handguns too!
:D

*keeps the guns in my over stock safe from banging into each other, and dose a great job of preventing rust!;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts