Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in the early 90's, I bought a Colt Government Model .380. Wanted a holster for it, could not find a leather, had to go with Uncle Mike's nylon. Being a traditionalist, that went against my grain. (pun intended :) )
But, I fell in love with the nylon.
Later picked up a Llama .45 1911 clone. And got a nylon UM holster for it.
When I worked at Cabela's, I recommended UM holsters every chance I got.
Fast forward 20 years:
One day I put the .380 holster on the belt, stuck the gun in the holster, and went outside. Walking around the yard, the holster dropped from my belt and it (with the gun inside) hit the ground!!!
Picked it up and discovered the plastic belt loop had literally disintegrated into small pieces, dropping the gun!!!
In the meantime, I had sold the Llama, sent the holster with it. Recently I was able to buy it back. First day back I looked at the plastic belt loop. Seemed supple, bendable, and good. Should hold up! Strapped it on, gun in, went outside and walked around in the yard. Felt it leave my belt, but it hung up in the hem of my coat so I was able to catch it before it hit the ground.
Yep, same thing: Plastic disintegrated into small pieces!!
Yes, they are 20 years old. But they did not get much use.
I sent an inquiry to Uncle Mike's to see if they had upgraded the plastic on their holsters. The drop-down menu on their "CONTACT US" link does not give the option of "OTHER", so I had to select whatever was closest. I choose "RETURNS", even though I was not expecting a replacement.
But the "Contact Us" link does not go to THEM: it goes to a 3rd party clearinghouse that works strictly the choice you select. So they asked me to provide order data blah blah blah
Ignored it. Thought about calling them, but realized the number probably goes to the same 3rd party BS.
So I cut slots in the nylon holster for the .380 to slide over the belt.
And bought a LEATHER holster for the Llama.
But if they improved the plastic on the holsters, I would buy another for the .380 in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I have used the Uncle Mikes holsters for many years now for my 1911 model guns. The problem I have is actually wearing out the holster itself and not the belt clip. Truth to be known this has happened just this once and very recently.

I currently have it's replacement in house and will be using soon.

That your clip came apart is interesting. I will be keeping an eye out for that in my holsters.

·
Reloading Addict
10,713 Posts
Tells me that you shouldn't wear your gun while walking around your yard…..it'll fall off.;)
There is something wrong with your yard.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I get a metal clip, snip the cheap plastic one off, and attached the metal clip to the holster using stick on velcro strips you can get in the fabrics and crafts section of a store. This also allows you to adjust the cant and ride height if desired. You can google "metal holster clips" and find several sources for them. This gives you a more durable clip that will hold to the belt better if you ever have to draw in a hurry. I don't trust those plastic ones to actually do that.

The velcro says it is not really for fabrics, but they seem to stay put well enough. If you pull the clip on and off numerous times then the strip attached to the nylon will start coming off, but that is when it is being pulled directly away from the holster. That wouldn't happen during normal use.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Glad you are having good luck with Velcro. Personally, I wouldn't trust it, but that's me.

Fast draw is not a consideration here. I wear a gun in the yard because we are in an unincorporated town where dogs run loose. I've had my Rhode Island Red rooster and hen attacked 3 times. (They are usually penned up, but I let them out under supervision. Surprising how fast a dog can move in on a chicken!) The last time a lab almost killed the rooster. I read the riot act to the owner, with my .357 Security Six on my hip (leather holster ;) ), and told him I had every right to shoot his dog if it is attacking my livestock. That was directly from the Sheriff.
So if a dog attacks and does NOT stop when called off, the gun will be in hand, no fast draw needed.

But I think the word has gone around . . . .

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That your clip came apart is interesting. I will be keeping an eye out for that in my holsters.
Notice that the plastic slide appeared supple, bendable, and good when I looked at it, and it STILL shattered "under load".

So not sure what to look out for.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Funny to mention Uncle Mikes holsters here I have 2 leather holsters for my 3 inch SP101's but yet the other day I pulled out from under my bed a black ballistic nylon thumb break belt holster. It might have even been made for a small semi-auto who knows. But with just a simple adjustment of the thumb break snap etc and presto it worked just fine for my 3 inch SP101 for my day's concealed carry holster. So it still might be my go to holster for my winter carry holster underneath a coat it works!!

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
After trying for 30-45 minutes to switch an Uncle Mikes "ambidextrous" holster to the left side and trying 4-5 different tools and getting zero ideas from the company...

Thankfully the nylon did not leave a mark on the wall when I threw it.

Uncle Mikes and I have permanently parted ways.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts