Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been concealed carrying for six or seven months now. I feel comfortable doing so and no one cares what I carry.

My problem is that when wearing an OWB holster that fits snug against my side, the pistol feels too high to comfortably reach.

Now, I admit I'm kind of mature at 65 and I can't twist around like I used to, but it sure seems as my OWB holsters really put my pistol up too high.

I have a Bravo Concealment OWB holster for my H&K VP40, an On Your 6 Designs OWB for both my SR9c and LC9s Pro.

Any suggestions other than wearing a thigh rig, which ain't going to happen, on how to make my draw easier? I also, don't like appendix carry.

·
Registered
214 Posts
High ride is the only way I'll carry concealed OWB. There are lots of options when it comes to IWB. You've just got to find what feels best for you...cause we're all different.

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Sounds like more to me that its difficult for you to reach your gun. You might consider going to a nice small .380 Semi-Auto like a Sig P238 and doing pocket carry instead this makes it a lower reach for you to pull a gun out of a good pocket holster. All of your OWB holster's are designed to ride hi up for belt carry. Just some thoughts!!!

·
Banned
1,940 Posts
Cross draw can solve that problem, but it doesn't conceal good at all. Terrible in fact. Another option is a shoulder holster, but that's not great in the summer. I settled on an IWB hybrid holster. It sits lower and doesn't feel like you are trying to scratch your armpit when having to draw the gun. Foxx holsters have been very good to me. I adjust the belt clips so the gun is angled forward and doing that means you don't even see anything when I bend over and it's so comfortable I don't even notice it's there most of time and I carry a medium sized Glock 19.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Go to a good holster maker and have them make one for you. Try having them move it down and cant it forward a little. If the mass produced ones aren't working, go the custom route. In the long run it's cheaper and better than having a box full that don't work for you.

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
I like a crossdraw IWB in a leather Cebeci. For a right hand, carry crossdraw @ 8 oclock really make concealing a breeze, and comfy too. Dont pinch or bind when you sit.. I carried a full size Beretta 92 like that for years, and still do with both a full size CZ 75BD and a 75 compact PCR. Sometimes I dont even use the holster and wear just the belt. Tucks in rather nicely for me and a t shirt will cover it.

Crossdraw, You can also grab your sidearm with either hand if you had to.

I dont care for the OWB high rider either. They dig into my rib cage, and pinch when I sit. I like the shoulder holster better. But they are a pain with light clothing in summer.

·
Super Moderator
21,415 Posts
I carry a S&W 642 in the front pocket or a SP101 in a crossbreed supertuck IWB. I carry the IWB at 4:00 and isn't that bad to access. With the IWB the handgun isn't much higher that the belt.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
You might consider going to a nice small .380 Semi-Auto like a Sig P238 and doing pocket carry instead this makes it a lower reach for you to pull a gun out of a good pocket holster.
I like the pocket carry suggestion from gqucool

or

as wheelgunman suggested going to a good holster maker and have them make one for you.

Both viable options I'd consider if in your position

·
Registered
26 Posts
Greetings Guardsix,

I feel your 'pain'. :) For me, the AlienGear LH IWB at the 5:30-6 position works for me. I usually am wearing an untucked flannel or light weight coat, so the concealed is 'covered'. The weapon sits low enough to be handy to reach. Since it is in the small of my back, it is comfortable while in the car, etc.

This is what works for me, in my less flexible years...

·
Registered
40 Posts
I carry my 2.25 SP101 AIWB but I'm able to dress casual for work, Levi's, shirt or sweater over my waist to cover it I'm 5'8"-150lbs. Going out to dinner or other times I'll throw on a blazer or suite coat. I find it very comfortable to carry AIWB.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Bowyer, that's too funny.

Getting back to the OP, the ride height of an OWB holster is dictated by the relationship of the belt slots to the holster. The lower the slots are located on the holster the higher the holster will sit in relation to the belt. It is a compromise between concealment, comfort and access. The lower the holster rides the harder it is to keep it covered with a shirt tail or jacket. The higher it rides the easier it is to conceal but access becomes an issue, particularly with larger guns. A holster that rides too low can be uncomfortable when sitting and one that rides too high can dig into your ribs.
A little "FBI" tilt (forward cant) can help. Ultimately it is a very individual thing.

I'm not a fan of crossdraw rigs or shoulder holsters except for very specialized applications.

There's a lot of stuff on the market but unfortunately it often comes down to a "buy it & try it" situation. The old Don Hume 721 was a good compromise for a mid-sized pistol (H&K compact or Glock 19 sized gun). Galco makes some good stuff and a lot of different designs. (Galco is also easy to re-sell if you don't like it). Bell Charter Oak makes some great holsters and they tend to lean a bit more towards concealment rigs.

Good Luck !

·
Registered
392 Posts
buy a pistol or revolver that fits your hand, something you can shoot accurately and something with a long, smooth double action type trigger pull, something you can handle safely.
buy a IWB holster that you can appendix carry with. the gun mentioned above will help you appendix carry without blowing your balls off. why appendix carry? the gun/holster is in the front, hiding under your belly(untucked shirt over a decent middle class belly will hide anything up to and including a Ruger P-90), you can get to it standing or sitting or belted into your car. it's a fast, comfortable draw. I wear a variety of guns like this, I like to give them a rear cant so the grip hangs over the belt.
enjoy retirement, be safe, have fun.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Consider a band type holster that goes around your middle. I wear a Kangaroo Carry and find it to be excellent. You wear it under your shirt, with your pistol between your breast, and armpit. To draw, simply pull down on the collar, and reach inside your shirt, and draw. Its very fast, conceals a large pistol easily, and there is no weight of the handgun on your waist.

People say to try different types of holsters until you find what works best for you. This is very true. I hated all types of holsters that ride at the waist, and also pocket carry. I love my Kangaroo Carry.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Finding the right holster and belt can help. To a point. As we become older, some compromises become more of an issue. I'm there.

Carrying around 25-30 pounds of gear, all day every day, for my whole LE career took it's toll. I can tolerate carry of a mid sized, double stack handgun if I must. In retirement, I now choose a lighter option most of the time. My 642, Glock 43 or even my LCP makes for a more comfortable day. I also don't live in downtown Chicago. ;)

I practice with my lighter choices and I'm confident they would do the job.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.