Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What can someone tell me about these scopes? I Have a 15x on a remington model 700 that I have, and I was thinking of swapping it out for a Leupold fixed power.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
don't know anything about them
but here is a optics talk board. Most seem purty knowledgable though they definately opinionated about their high dollar favorites.

perhaps a search here may help http://www.opticstalk.com/

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link deputy, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Cody,
Unertls were the premier scopes several years ago. I would find a reputable dealer, someone you can trust, and ask him what it's worth. Some of them can be quite valuable.
Look for a model on it and e-mail it to me and I'll see if I can give some more information on it.

Molon Labe

Kim

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wasn't really looking to sell it, I was just thinking about replacing it with a differant scope. It is a 15x, I can't find any other kind of markings on it. Here are a couple of pictures:

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,471 Posts
CodyBrown, Unertl Scopes are very collectible and command some good prices. I would contact Unertl directly for value and see if they can refer you to an interested buyer. (702) 369-4092

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the link Iowegan

·
Registered
128 Posts
CodyBrown, Unertl Scopes are very collectible and command some good prices. I would contact Unertl directly for value and see if they can refer you to an interested buyer. (702) 369-4092
DID YOU READ MY POST... I SAID, IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO SELL IT, EMAIL ME,. I THINK THAT MAKE ME A INTERESTED BUYER... I ASK HIM FOR PIC AND SIZE OF LENS AND HOW MUCH HE WANT FOR IT 2 TIMES.. I THINK THAT MAKE ME A INTERESTED BUYER.. YOUR BUTTING IN HAS COST HIM A SALE, NOW I'M NOT A INTERESTED BUY NOW...

·
16,471 Posts
tn gun runner, Relax and read Cody's posts again.... looks to me like he wasn't trying to sell ... just wanting info on value. I think he will be pleasantly surprised when he finds out how much that Unertl is worth. PS ... the stuff for sale will be in the Buy, Sell, & Trade forum.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not planning on selling it right now, sorry I didn't clarify that to begin with. I just simply wanted some information about the scope. I haven't seen one in person besides the one I have. After doing some research, I have found out that they used to be on a couple of differant military sniper rifles. If I do decide to sell it, I will keep you in mind tn_gun_runner, but for right now, it's gonna stay in the safe.

Cody

·
Registered
128 Posts
What can someone tell me about these scopes? I Have a 15x on a remington model 700 that I have, and I was thinking of swapping it out for a Leupold fixed power.
Yes I knew you where not selling it. You where thinking of swapping it out for a Leupoid.
But if you knew you had a chance to sell it now and get your Leupold and put cash in your pocket also..
I was hoping since you the fence about selling it I could give you that extra push.
I have one on this ballard and been looking for one for my highwall

·
16,471 Posts
tn gun runner, What a beautiful Ballard and such a good match for the scope! I can see why you wanted to buy the Unertl.

CodyBrown, I went to a gunshow in Yankton, SD today and spent some time at one of the tables where they had two 24X Unertls, both were used, both with $1,600 price tags. The owner collects rare and high $$$ optics. I told him about your 15X Unertl and he said if it was in excellent condition with the proper mounts, it would be worth $1200 - 1500.

I got a lesson on Unertls and found out why they are so desirable. Scopes with a normal turret also have an internal tube with extra lenses and the cross hairs. Unertls use an external turret so there is way less distortion and light loss. He let me compare the 24X Unertl with a 6.5-20x Leupold. There was a huge difference in optical quality with the Unertl being the better. Each Unertl scope is handcrafted in the USA with the best quality lenses available. The 15X was discontinued many years ago so it not only has followers for quality optics, it also has a collector market. Serious Prairie dog hunters go wild for them.

·
Registered
128 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts