Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in a gun shop a couple of days ago and there were a few people looking around and checking out the inventory. A man comes in with a Colt .357 revolver and asks how much the shop would pay for it. He goes on to say that he had several guns that had been left to him by a family member.

The shop owner tells him that he could only pay $150 for it because he had several of them already. As expected, the man declines the offer and leaves.
Another customer in the shop follows him out and starts a conversation in the parking lot. All of a sudden the shop owner bolts out the door and starts yelling at the guy for stealing his business.

Who's wrong, if anybody?

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I was in a gun shop a couple of days ago and there were a few people looking around and checking out the inventory. A man comes in with a Colt .357 revolver and asks how much the shop would pay for it. He goes on to say that he had several guns that had been left to him by a family member.

The shop owner tells him that he could only pay $150 for it because he had several of them already. As expected, the man declines the offer and leaves.
Another customer in the shop follows him out and starts a conversation in the parking lot. All of a sudden the shop owner bolts out the door and starts yelling at the guy for stealing his business.

Who's wrong, if anybody?
The shop owner can't dictate who talks to who about whatever in his lot, or anywhere.
But they should have gone elsewhere to do business, if that is what was going on.
IMHO.

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
The shop owner knows he blew it. He was hoping the customer would come back and say he'd take a couple hundred. Still grand larceny by the shop owner.

·
Registered
477 Posts
That is easy, the shop owner had his chance first. He chose to low ball the gun owner. Since the discussion took place outside of the store it is simply taking advantage of an opportunity. No harm no foul.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Shop owner.
FWIW, a shop owner is only going to pay blue book minus two grades for a used firearm- which often times comes out to less than 1/2 its value. Its business, they need to cover for their overhead.

If I were either of the men outside trying to make a deal, I would not ever step foot in that shop again.
I've been treated very similarly at a shop in the past- I went in with a nice older Win 94 and asked the guy behind the gun counter if the shop was interested to buy it or put it out for consignment (they had a consignment section at the shop), he rolled his eyes at me, said "no" stuck his nose in the air, went into the back room and closed the door behind him. He didn't even wait for my next question which was about buying another rifle he had on the shelf.

I never went back again and felt very vindicated when they went out of business 2 years later.
The best part was I was only looking for what I bought the rifle for- $100. What are 94s going for now?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Shop Owner had his chance at the guys gun, and his low-ball offer didn't work. If some shop owners would treat folks fair, instead of trying to take advantage, everyone would be happy. Ray

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
There are names for that dealer, I'll keep 'em to meself.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
Shop owner exercised his right to try to get the gun cheap in order to maximize profit.

Gun owner exercised his right to say no and leave the shop.

Other customer then exercised his right to speak to the owner of the gun... outside of the shop.

Shop owner has no legitimate gripe, and probably lost two customers who might have bought something from him in the future. Idiot!

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Unscrupulous shop owner.....
I'd give him a wide berth in future, those folk don't deserve your business.

·
Registered
5,554 Posts

he shop owner tells him that he could only pay $150 for it because he had several of them already. As expected, the man declines the offer and leaves.

Who's wrong, if anybody?
I'd say the shop owner...he low-balled the gun's owner and the gun owner declined the offer! He's looking for the best deal too! If the 2nd customer wanted to see the gun...and an offer happened to come up while in the parking lot...the gun shop owner shouldn't be upset!

I'd say he probably didn't have many Colt .357 mag revolvers in stock...they would be purchased so fast there would be none in the display case! Fair is fair!

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
IMO, the shop owner low-balled hoping to take advantage of the unknowing gun owner. When he didn't get what he wanted, the gun was fair-game. The customer that followed the man out to make a deal in the shop's parking lot probably should've gone off the property though. Now if the shop really low-balled the owner, I'd be thinking twice before returning.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Unethical or fair game?...fair game...the dealer had his chance...if it occured inside his shop, nother matter entirely.

Since the fellow with the colt was selling a gun left to him by a family member, it seem to rule out the notion that he was trying to steal away the dealers business...moreover just attempting to get a fair price for a gun that he, for what ever reason didn't want to keep. Myself I'd have kept it...

·
Registered
725 Posts
Shop owner.
FWIW, a shop owner is only going to pay blue book minus two grades for a used firearm- which often times comes out to less than 1/2 its value. Its business, they need to cover for their overhead.

If I were either of the men outside trying to make a deal, I would not ever step foot in that shop again.
I've been treated very similarly at a shop in the past- I went in with a nice older Win 94 and asked the guy behind the gun counter if the shop was interested to buy it or put it out for consignment (they had a consignment section at the shop), he rolled his eyes at me, said "no" stuck his nose in the air, went into the back room and closed the door behind him. He didn't even wait for my next question which was about buying another rifle he had on the shelf.

I never went back again and felt very vindicated when they went out of business 2 years later.
The best part was I was only looking for what I bought the rifle for- $100. What are 94s going for now?
Unfortunately, there are quite a few dealers like that. They wonder why people go elsewhere and don't support them.

·
Super Moderator
21,469 Posts
The Kittery Trading Post pays 80% of what they list the firearm for if you trade. If you sell outright it is less.

The shop owner is unethical .

·
Banned
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Strange how everyone has the same opinion, including myself, yet you hear about such things happening time and time again.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
1 - 20 of 32 Posts