Ruger Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Old Shooter
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Ruger MK III Long Rifle pistol. I field-stripped it for the first time yesterday for cleaning. I was careful to follow the instructions in the manual. When I reassembled it, the bolt had trouble sliding back in. When I finished the reassembly, all LOOKED good, but the bold would only go back maybe an inch and stopped. The trigger moves smoothly (no pressure), and the safety is stuck in the F position...won't move. I tried to field-strip it again, but the bolt will not come out, stopping again at the same position. What can I do to fix this problem (short of sending it in to Ruger)? Thank you.

Registered
Something has to much pressure. Take a peek on YouTube, there are plenty of videos that can guide you through the process. After a few times reassembling you will think it's easy.

Registered
Sit tight some one will be along with a detailed explaination of how to get it re assembled correctly . I have a MKI Target and a Mark II , have had to learn the reassembly song and dance for those... but the MKIII may be different and I don't want to get you going down the wrong path . It'll be OK .
Gary

Registered
Mark III reassembly

The chances are that the hammer strut is caught behind the frame cross-pin. It's a very common reassembly issue. With the bolt all the way forward, install a magazine and pull the trigger and keep pressure on it so the sear disengages. While doing this, tilt the barrel downward and simultaneously tap on the front of the frame (at the part just forward of the trigger guard where the frame meets with the barrel). A few taps is all it usually takes; what should happen is the hammer will now move forward under the inertia of tapping on the frame; thus "freeing" up the hammer strut. Now carefully tilt the pistol upward with the barrel pointing toward the ceiling. This should cause the hammer strut to swing free of the frame cross-pin. Remove the magazine. While keeping the barrel pointed up, pull the mainspring housing release and you should be able to remove the mainspring housing. If it doesn't come out easily, repeat the process until it does. Sometimes it takes several tries but I've never failed to get a Mark III disassembled using this method. Let us know how it goes. Mike

Old Shooter
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your reply, Mike. I tried this sequence and it did work after several tries. I was afraid I would have to send the gun back to Ruger and, since I am retired and living on a fixed income, I really didn't want that expense. Hopefully I will be able to get things back to normal now.

Registered
I recently purchased this "fix" for the Ruger MK series.

https://www.hammerstrutsupport.com

It keeps the hammer strut from getting behind the pin like yours did.
You may want to check it out and see if you think it's worthwhile.

I installed one in my MK II and it took about five minutes.

Registered
Reassembly

Arthur:
Reassembly takes some pretty specific steps; there's always help available on the internet but I'm happy to help talk you through it if you want. Mike

Registered
Mark series differences

Sit tight some one will be along with a detailed explaination of how to get it re assembled correctly . I have a MKI Target and a Mark II , have had to learn the reassembly song and dance for those... but the MKIII may be different and I don't want to get you going down the wrong path . It'll be OK .
Gary
The only significant differences in the Mark I & II series is that they don't have the magazine disconnect & loaded chamber indicators of the MK III's. Otherwise, takedown is about the same process once you recognize that you can't pull the trigger (releasing the hammer) on the MKIII without a magazine in place....and you can't remove the mainspring housing with a magazine in place. I'm a big Ruger fan and have a bunch of the Mark-series pistols; my favorites are the MkII's, although I really appreciate the takedown features of the MkIV's. They're all great little pistols and my MkII Govt. Target is (almost) as accurate as my High Standards and S&W M41. Wife consistently beats me with her Volquartsen barreled Hi Standard Victor but I think it's because she's just a better shot! :D

Banned
Welcome from New Jersey. Learn and enjoy.That pistol is notrious for reassembly difficult to reassemble. That is why the latest version features easy reassembly. There are several companies that offer retrofit kits to make reassembly easier.

Registered
Mine is a Mark2 and I've decided that I will take it apart again if some wears out or breaks. As long as it works, I'll clean it as well as I can without taking it apart and shoot. I have to use a plastic mallet to remove and replace the upper half, nearly impossible to line everything up so heck with it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts