Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Dylan and i have never posted here before and i am unsure if this is the correct place for this post. My super black hawk was bought used for me by my girlfriend and it seemed to be in very nice condition. After shooting roughly 25 rounds through it the cylinder would not turn when pulling back the hammer. It was more or less jammed and i did not understand why. I took it home and cleaned it and took it out later on. It fired great and cylinder turned like normal until i shot roughly 25 rounds through it. I sent it back to ruger to be repaired. They sent it back to me and noted that they had replaced the gate spring, base pin, latch, cross pins, screws, cylinder, hammer, trigger, and grip panels. I am excited to get it back and it looks brand new. I go out and shoot it yesterday and after about 50 rounds i notice that the hammer will not go back. I had to open and close the gate for it to finally let me pull the hammer back. Being frustrated i put it away and shot other guns. I take it home and notice that when you turn the cylinder it will usually click. It now clicks randomly with no pattern. It also will spin backwards freely at times. and the hammer can not be cocked always. I am confused and frustrated, any advice??

Thanks

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Thinking initially the base pin is jumping forward. Not having it fully inserted will cause the hammer to not be pulled back as the transfer bar will catch on the firing pin. A stronger base pin latch spring would help but a Belt Mt base pin would help best.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is that something that i could do? Does it involve special tools? or should i send it back again for another waiting period

·
Registered
824 Posts
When it catches and doesn't cock quite often it's because the base pin is backing out under recoil, when it catches or doesn't cock check the base pin to see if it's fully seated, if it's not then thats your problem, a heavier spring for the base pin screw should help.

·
Registered
824 Posts
If you are comfortable with doing it your self, they are fairly easy to replace, the parts you'll need are available from places like brownells.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i mean i enjoy taking guns apart and seeing how they work but never seen the inside of a revolver. Could i easily screw the beauty up?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts