Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried to search, but the inclusion of "mainspring" as a search term gives results for an entirely different problem. I'm absolutely baffled.

I cannot get the mainspring bolt fully seated (so that it's protruding out the top) properly.

The upper is properly seated on the lower. The mainspring bolt will install just fine without the recoil spring on the bolt.

With the recoil spring on the bolt the mainspring bolt will get almost all the way then stop. All the upper body strength I can muster cannot get it the rest of the way in.

Is it just that the gun is new? Any tricks or tips? Grease?

·
Registered
803 Posts
When I had the Ruger Mark series pistols I occasionally had the same problem, I think. I found that the recoil spring can seat the fork at the end slightly off center and no way will the pin go through. I carefully lined it up and put the bolt in and most times the mainspring would seat correctly.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I had the Ruger Mark series pistols I occasionally had the same problem, I think. I found that the recoil spring can seat the fork at the end slightly off center and no way will the pin go through. I carefully lined it up and put the bolt in and most times the mainspring would seat correctly.
Wow, Thanks!

I rotated the fork 180 degrees and it popped right in.

Now I just need to figure out why all four magazines are binding.

·
Registered
803 Posts
How are the magazines binding? If it is when you drop them out and you have a MarkIII version it is the magazine safety causing them to drag. That is one of the biggest reasons I got rid of my Mark III the mag safety and that aggravating loaded chamber indicator.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How are the magazines binding? If it is when you drop them out and you have a MarkIII version it is the magazine safety causing them to drag. That is one of the biggest reasons I got rid of my Mark III the mag safety and that aggravating loaded chamber indicator.
Oh, no it's the follower that's binding. The dummy rounds I'm using might be to blame, but right now when I load the mag and manually feed the dummy rounds into the gun, the follower binds and isn't pushing the rounds up. It does this whether the mag is in the gun or not actually. They are new so maybe need to be disassembled and cleaned?

·
Registered
803 Posts
I never had that problem so other than possibly being dirty I would not know where to start. Surely someone else will jump in at some point.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts