Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Title should say, Unseen parts but -------

Recently was offered a almost like new RUGER 77/44 at a very good price, so went for it.

I had avoided these rotary magazine rifles earlier as my 310gr LBT cast bullet was too long to function through the mag.

A few months back, I bought a new Accurate Mold from Tom in Utah, this 275gr. Wide Flat Nose bullet is designed to function in the son's Marlin .444 lever action.

I'm sizing these bullets .431 just like I do all my cast .44 bullets, and with it's shorter nose, it will function in the "new" 77/44.

So, was out last Wed. to sight in the 2X7 Leupold scope and test my first couple of series of test loads. One, the load with H110 is showing promise while the AA#9 didn't.

Noticed, couldn't help but, that the trigger needed a 2 - 2 1/2ton truck to pull it off - slight stretching of the facts here, but only slight - so that needed to be addressed.

A couple of posters on another forum tipped me off to TriggerShims.com on the net, saying that taking play out of the two piece 77/22 bolt would improve accuracy and consistency.

So, I checked out the web site, ordered the bolt shim kit and a Volquartsen Target Sear along with a trigger shim kit.

Bolt kit came with 4 shims, .002, .003, .004 and .005. It took .004 to remove the excess play between the two pieces.

NOTE, that there must be some play between the two parts of the bolt, or it will NOT allow the bolt to close without excess force.

I know, as I started with two shims for a total of .009. Didn't work and I slowly decreased the shim thickness until I reached .004

It will likely be a week and a half before I get out to the range again, but installed the parts -ordered Friday and arrived today, FAST SERVICE- and WOW the trigger is now very light and crisp.

Time will tell if the bolt shims really pay off, but the cost was low and I doubt they will decrease the accuracy.

The trigger improvement is bound to increase accuracy now that I can park the 2 ton truck.

Anyway, the cost of the Target sear is well worth the cost and the trigger shim kit is, as was the bolt shim kit, very reasonable.

Now I have an awesome trigger!

I recommend Lance at TriggerShims.com!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
WOW, the after market upgrades really paid off!

Very light and sweet trigger now and the

Group of 2 3/16" shot two weeks ago, shrank to 1 1/8" yesterday!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
I did the target sear on my 77/357. Was huge improvement. Recommend to all and I did not have the safety problems that I see others report.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Other then being sooooo light I might put the factory sear spring back in I had no issues, safety or other wise.

Hard to beat a trigger this good.

CDOC

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Deerhunter,

I did some 100yd tests last Wed. but spaced out and didn't take my sand bags with me.

Daaaaaaaaa! :(

Had to make do with a much less solid rest, so need to repeat the tests.

It appears The rifle will do groups in the three inch range, but as said the rest was not good and I need to run them again.

Also, after the putting in the Volquartsen target trigger sear, the trigger pull is extremely light.

To the point where I did have some unexpected discharges.

I think I need to go back and put in the factory sear spring with the target trigger sear and see if that will add just a bit to the weight of the trigger pull.

Don't have a scales, but I'd guess the trigger pull to be about a lb. or less. VERY LIGHT!

Because of the mental laps I also need to re-shoot the Alliant 300MP tests.

CDOC

·
Registered
28 Posts
Coot that is a scary light trigger ! Be careful ! l have a couple pounds of mp 300 but haven't broken the seal on . Still got a2400 that works beautifully for me . Would love to hear how mp 300 acts with cast .

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good Velocities, but as said, I need to reshoot the tests.

Velocity maybe above H110, so getting well up in the 1600s and as I recall a bit above. This is with my 275gr cast bullets.

CDOC

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ooooooops! haven't slugged the barrel. Shame shame on me! :p

Am sizing .431 and currently using LBT Blue soft lube.

The bullets are cast of clip on Wheel weights, water quenched as they drop from the mold.

CDOC

·
Registered
90 Posts
Ooooooops! haven't slugged the barrel. Shame shame on me! :p

Am sizing .431 and currently using LBT Blue soft lube.

The bullets are cast of clip on Wheel weights, water quenched as they drop from the mold.

CDOC
You might try adding a pinch of tin to your COWW. It reduces the surface tension of the alloy, which helps the mold fill out better. It's also good for expansion and helps keep the bullet together upon impact at higher velocities. I seem to get better accuracy when doing so as well.

Cast bullet alloys, characteristics of CB alloys, maintenance of CB alloys

Cast hollow point bullets, expansion and effectiveness

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Guess I'll need to post some images of my cast bullets, but they cast very well and have for years without the addition of tin to the WW.

Do appreciate the tips however.

CDOC

·
Registered
193 Posts
77/357 here (purchased about a month ago) and the more I read about both the 77/44 and 77/357 the more anxious I am to get mine to the range! Sold the 77/44 blue/walnut I had and now it just may become one of those rifles I might buy again if a nice used one pops up. I've cast bullets in the past and will likely BUY some samples to test in my 77/357, and if it likes them get another mold and plug in the lead pot once again.
Just checked and found a mold I still have- think I bought it for the 357 Mag and Max Handi Rifles I used to have: as I said, time to plug in the lead pot!

Attachments

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Alan,

With the .357 rifle velocities, a gas checked version is likely going to be much better.

I was testing a week ago, loads in the 77/44 into the 1700fps range.

The new mold I bought to cast for my son's 77/357 is a 175gr w/gas check.

Have a few things to get out of the way, then need a couple of casting sessions.

Have a shoulder surgery that I'll try top put off until early December, and need to cast before my right arm is out of commission for a bit.

CDOC

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just finished swapping springs in my 77/44 trigger a bit ago, and I think I now have the winning combination.

Replacing the factory sear and spring with the Volquertsen parts made the trigger ever so much better, but in my case, the trigger was a bit too light.

Must have been sub LB. Now, with the Volquertsen target trigger sear, and the factory spring, I think it is about right. Will know better when I get out to shoot from the bench again.

If, it should seem to be a bit too heavy now, I will look for another spring or possibly shorten the factory spring a bit.

This is a quick change, except for the replacing of the trigger shims that are a bit of an effort to get in place so the trigger pin can go back in.

CDOC

·
Registered
86 Posts
I just put the bolt shims in my 77/357 easy install and it makes the bolt feel better when opening and closing. Haven't shot it yet but I'm guessing I'll see an improvement.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I would still like to find a steal of a deal on a 77/44 to make a switch barrel rig. I would enjoy making a 357 Bain Davis and maybe a 256 Winchester Magnum. The maximum barrel OD at the chamber is smaller than most standard chambered 308/30-06 based rifles and I think a heavier larger contour extended toward the muzzle would make for an interesting heft of a 77/44 or 77/357 package (just extend the existing chamber area OD of the 77/44/357 farther out toward the muzzle).
I've had a blue/walnut 77/44 but it was mint and only second year production so it was 'too nice' to use for a project rifle so I sold it thinking I will replace it with a stainless 77/44 one day.
I bought a 98% 77/357 stainless from a friend but have not shot it yet. Even it is tempting me with the idea of a match grade varmint contour (heavier) barrel in same 357 Mag chambering just to see how accurate a 357 can be with a really high quality barrel (like the MGM 357 Max barrel I had on a T/C Contender carbine I had).
Several 'ideas' pop up when I look at these rifles!

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Interesting thoughts on the switch barrel rifle -----------

If I want a VERY accurate rifle, well I have my tricked out 10/22 and some high velocity center fires, so the 77/44 will just stay a hunting tool using cast bullets.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

1 - 20 of 21 Posts