Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm confused about where the gun should be in the car when I'm driving to the range. I know to have it unloaded and in a latched box, but does it need to be "clearly displayed" or in my trunk??? This is for the state of Georgia, and apologies if this is not posted in the correct forum.

Scott!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Don't know what the law is in your state but in Texas we have a law that you can carry in your vehicle for protection without a license and your protected by law so in Texas you can keep it loaded and within hand reach no matter where you go .

·
Registered
1,142 Posts

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Here's a start: Georgia Carry : An information clearinghouse for Georgia Firearms License issues and news » Frequently Asked Questions

Looks like you can carry in YOUR car and loaded if you want. But if you don't have your license, what happens when you leave the car? If you're going to carry unloaded might as well be in the trunk.
Not necessarily true in parts of Atlanta where the greatest threats to life and limb are the soccer moms in their soccer vans who are half plowed by 10AM and are so bored they really don't care if they live or die. They might be sufficiently surprised by the sight of a gun to run off to the club. At least they'd have something new to talk about at the bar.
:D:D

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
Planeguy,

Love your most correct insight into the term Loaded.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
In what county did you apply? If Fulton or Dekalb, you will have plenty of time to complete law school before you receive your CCW.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think my main concern is being stopped for a traffic citation and having it unloaded in my trunk- do I have to tell the cop? I can't find any information whether I have to volunteer telling the cop I have a firearm.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Well, I'm not a lawyer, but in that situation, I have to think it is not required. Now, if you were licensed carrying concealed, absolutely keep your hands on the wheel and inform the cop of both facts. And if you were carrying open (like on the set beside you), do the same.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
I think my main concern is being stopped for a traffic citation and having it unloaded in my trunk- do I have to tell the cop? I can't find any information whether I have to volunteer telling the cop I have a firearm.
Not in the city of Atlanta:
If it's unloaded and in the trunk, like your original post about being on the way to the range, no need to advise unless for some reason the trunk becomes a topic the cop brings up. Say they're looking for a car like you drive and ask if they can search - then tell them. I'd say if you sense urgency on their part, tell them and get that out of the way. If it's just a routine traffic stop there's no need.

In the City:
Tell them early and lead with "an unloaded gun". The cops in Atlanta are by and large pretty darn good, but I think their normal state is a little more "aware" than elsewhere. And for good reason.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.