Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased an SR9c in September '15, and have put about 1900 rounds through it now, shooting once a week. While cleaning it, I've noticed what I take to be unusual wear on the metal tab on the breech, above the chamber, on the right side. See photo.

Anybody else seen this? Is this something to be concerned about? My gunsmith friend suggested just smoothing it out with a flat file, but my first concern is why is this happening, and is this just a symptom of another issue

Attachments

·
Registered
991 Posts
I own and carry both the SR 9c & 40c love them both! Looks like you've got some barrel peaning going on. This happened to some SR's early on. Contact Ruger CS and they'll get you fixed right up!

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
I purchased an SR9c in September '15, and have put about 1900 rounds through it now, shooting once a week. While cleaning it, I've noticed what I take to be unusual wear on the metal tab on the breech, above the chamber, on the right side. See photo.

Anybody else seen this? Is this something to be concerned about? My gunsmith friend suggested just smoothing it out with a flat file, but my first concern is why is this happening, and is this just a symptom of another issue
There are threads here on that exact issue.

I have some very similar wear on my almost 6 year old SR9c with close to 6000 rounds thru it. The wear happened in the first 1000 rounds or so.

Iowegan (a retired gunsmith here) had a great post on the issue. I'll try to find it.

here it is: http://rugerforum.net/ruger-pistols...ning-barrel-hood-slide-hood-3.html#post788998

Listen to your gunsmith. Smooth it out slightly That type of wear will pretty much stop and go no further.

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
My SR9c had that after the first 500 or so rounds. I filed it off gently and the issue never came back after 4000 more rounds through it after.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, gents. Got the lead to the 'peening' issue from another friend, and that's *exactly* what's going on. I sent photos to Ruger, and expect to hear back in the next day or so... still undecided on what to do then... a new barrel and/or slide sounds nice, but I may just have my friend (a race gun builder & gunsmith) take a flat file to the burr on the barrel tab. My pistol works well, and from the posts the issue *seems* to be trivial, so I'm thinking I should just clean it up and leave it alone. I suppose that, after filing, if it reappears I'll send it in then. Otherwise, if it's really just a rather crude break-in artifact and won't reoccur, I'm good with it as it is.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A little late getting back. Sent photos to Ruger... current company line is that "that's just normal break-in wear, don't worry about it..." Which is what I was going to do anyway.

My gunsmith friend (whom I now owe lunch) took a small flat file and a stone, to knock the burrs off, and then some emery cloth to shine everything up. All nice and pretty now, so I ran 100 Federal target rounds through it... if there was any noticeable change, I'm not sensitive enough to see/feel it... I'll wait and see what another 500 rounds brings...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts