Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the possum is thoroughly cooked, take the little sucker to a secluded spot in your yard and bury him properly. If you live in an appartment or don't have a yard, chuck him in a dumpster. Then go in and fix yourself a nice baloney and cheese sandwich with hot mustard..:D

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Both, I think. It's kinda like quail. You get all of the shot out you can before you cook it, but there always seems to be one or two pieces left when you eat it. :)

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
quote:Originally posted by Keith Smith

Do you pluck the asphalt before or after you cook him?
Nah Keith, the asphalt and embedded rock cook off and fall down into the grill.:D

·
Registered
131 Posts
As much as I hate to admit this, I've had Possum. Skinned out and cut up like rabbit, parboiled for a couple of hours and then roasted in the oven with new potatoes, carrots and onions. It tasted okay, until I found out what it was. It wasn't real greasy that I remember. The parboiling must have gotten most of the grease out of it. I don't think I'll try it again, as times would have to be pretty tough to eat a possum.
Brian

·
Registered
11 Posts
Could not bring myself to try possum when it was offered, however being from south Lousy-ana, I have eaten some critters.

Alligator, (naturally)

Nutria- Although a member of the rat family, it is a vegetarian, not bad on the pit. Bar-b-que nutria was actually served at a close friends wedding, (where there were some VERY unhappy guests when told what they had eaten.)

Coon- NO MORE, thank you!!

Rattlesnake, tasted it on a dare, but was too inebriated to remember if it was any good.

Snapper and Loggerhead turtle- PLEASE do not try this- (leaves more for me!!)

I feel that if anyone can eat a crab, or chicken, they are capable of eating any animal on earth.[^]

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I've eaten squirrel, frog legs and turtle but wouldn't try possum which my friend said was very good ( he was from Missouri ) While stationed at Ft. Leanard Wood. Very tasty.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
droy>" if anyone can eat a crab, or chicken, they are capable of eating any animal on earth".

+1 Amen Brother!! Especially crabs. Anyone that's ever seen an animal including man that's been nibbled by those little suckers will never fully enjoy crab salad again!

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
droy, I'm from the middle of the state but lived in a lot of places. Alligator is very good, as is turtle, gar and rattlesnake. I'll eat my weight in crab and shrimp, and love them mudbugs. Frog legs and squirrel are OK, but never liked nutria, rabbit, chittlins, ox tounge or calf brains. Never wanted to try possum, Seen too many eating the ass end of something dead. Never tried coon but friends that have said it was just like chicken. I believe they lied to me. Of course I've had some coon-ass gumbos that had god-only-knows-what in them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts