Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 77/22 LR stainless and enjoy it immensely but not in love with the plastic stock. I have long arms and LOP is just too short to be comfotrable.
yes I know its a "collector piece" - 2 tone black / green dated 1990 - so I'll save the parts
I want to replace the stock with a boyds at-one
found the trigger guard assembly on brownells but not sure what else needs to be acquired.
front / rear screws , magazine well liner ?
boyds was not a lot of help when contacted about the "extra's"

I apologize
I forgot to say this was the all-weather model - trigger guard is molded part of the stock

·
Registered
22 Posts
Not too sure about the Boyd parts ya need. I would have to think that the stock is made to accommodate all the original factory parts for fitting the stock. But I'm not certain!! I would suggest tossing a Volquartsen trigger sear in it and some bolt shims if needed while ya have it apart. I just did it on a 77/22 lr and a 77/22 mag I have and it's night and day difference in how they shoot!

·
Super Moderator
5,328 Posts
I don’t think you will need much if anything. Parts such as the trigger guard are not permanently attached to the factory stock. The factory stock is actually sandwiched between the action and trigger guard assembly. You should just need the stock itself. If you have any doubt, send Boyd’s an email, or take your 77/22 and remove it from the stock. Things might take a little gentle persuasion to get out since they have been tensioned together for 30ish years, but it shouldn’t take much to get it all apart.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don’t think you will need much if anything. Parts such as the trigger guard are not permanently attached to the factory stock. The factory stock is actually sandwiched between the action and trigger guard assembly. You should just need the stock itself. If you have any doubt, send Boyd’s an email, or take your 77/22 and remove it from the stock. Things might take a little gentle persuasion to get out since they have been tensioned together for 30ish years, but it shouldn’t take much to get it all apart.
the "boatpaddle" stock is one piece - trigger guard included. so have to get the trigger guard for the new stocck. just not sure about any other parts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not too sure about the Boyd parts ya need. I would have to think that the stock is made to accommodate all the original factory parts for fitting the stock. But I'm not certain!! I would suggest tossing a Volquartsen trigger sear in it and some bolt shims if needed while ya have it apart. I just did it on a 77/22 lr and a 77/22 mag I have and it's night and day difference in how they shoot!
I did the sear a while back and like it. have not heard about the bold shims, i'll have to look at that.

·
Registered
8,944 Posts
I want to replace the stock with a boyds at-one
found the trigger guard assembly on brownells but not sure what else needs to be acquired.
front / rear screws , magazine well liner ?
boyds was not a lot of help when contacted about the "extra's"
I wasn’t aware that the trigger guard was molded into the stock on that model, I know they are on the American Rimfire Hunter. First you don’t need to buy a trigger guard, they are included with all Boyd’s stocks. It’s just a matter of pulling the two action screws and popping it out. You should have a couple of bedding blocks in the original stock that you’ll use with the new one. It “should “ drop right in but you may have to do a little fine tuning of the new stock. Everything swaps out from one to the other, no extras. Hope that’s helps.

Reactions: Phish

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
per boyds - disclaimer
These stocks are designed for the Ruger 77 Bolt Action 22 Long Rifle. Early plastic stocks will require additional mounting hardware to use our stocks. Please contact Ruger or Brownells (800) 741-0015 for the metal trigger guard and clip assembly

so the trigger guard is not an issue to order - the "clip assembly" ? no such thing - so i have to assume its a few parts combined. im thinking its the screws and magazine well - the mag release can be moved over to the new trigger assembly from what i can see in the schematics .

·
Registered
22 Posts
There is a small metal lip at the front of the mag well that is held on by one screw. That's probably the part you are looking for. I will take some pictures of mine and send them to you when I get home later tonight.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is a small metal lip at the front of the mag well that is held on by one screw. That's probably the part you are looking for. I will take some pictures of mine and send them to you when I get home later tonight.
Thanks - I appreciate it - its an 8 dollar part - im betting thats what is needed - so if not - im not out much.
just hate to be missing parts and have to wait even long to assemble .

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cool thanks and thanks for the pic.. Im pretty sure thats what they mean. grabbing both screws too (front and rear)
4 parts total - 2 screws - magwell and trigger guard assembly

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
as promised - pics of the build - converting an all-weather (zytel) stock 77/22 to a boyds at-one custom stock
New parts required - ruger 77/22 trigger guard assembly , front and rear mounting screws and the magazine well liner. All available on midway or brownells
Make sure you order the correct trigger guard for 22lr (780-000-516WB) or magnum (780-000-325WB).
This dummy ordered the wrong one !!
remove the upper assembly from the old stock , you will also need to remove the magazine release assembly from the bottom of the receiver - punch the pin out and save those parts. The rest stays with the old stock. magazine release was also upgraded while I was at it.Pics of the old parts included to save for reference.
Put the receiver into new stock , at an angle insert the trigger guard into place, screw both front and rear down and dont forget the magazine well liner for the front mounting screw. . I torqued to 30 inch lbs.

·
Registered
8,944 Posts
That’s a big difference. (y)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think is going to do very well. tight fitting frame. well made stock. well worth it.
How much clearance do you have around the barrel? I have a 77/22 with target grey finish and a heavy barrel I am thinking about picking up one of those stocks for it. I'm curious if I would have to do a lot of Sanding to get the heavy barrel to fit the stock.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How much clearance do you have around the barrel? I have a 77/22 with target grey finish and a heavy barrel I am thinking about picking up one of those stocks for it. I'm curious if I would have to do a lot of Sanding to get the heavy barrel to fit the stock.
my barrel is .66 inches at the edge of the stock - total width is 1.3 - bull barrels are .92 leaves .38 inch devided by both sides
sorry but I dont think it will work out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts