Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 10/22 Model#11127 Semi for my son FOR CHRISTMAS. There is a ridiculous amount of optional items for this rifle. However the reason I purchased this particular rifle is the dependability & options. He is about to finish his Machinist certificate and after another semester will finish college and wants to go to gunsmith school.

So my thought was to purchase him a highly regarded gun that is affordable to mod.

However there is just to much information. I have seen tactical stocks, wood stocks, different barrels, etc....

How does a person determine what can be changed and what changes are beneficial?

PLEASE ADVISE!
Desperate Dad

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
It all depends.
Anything but the receiver can be changed. Technically I suppose you could swap only the receiver but since that is where the serial number is it would legally be a different firearm.

Each component that can be changed could be for purely cosmetic reasons or for ease of use or for accuracy or for weight etc. and each with a range of budgetary options.

It does seem that the sheer variety of options can make it difficult to decide.
If there was only a single aftermarket barrel for example then it would be easy, do you like that one better the stock or not. But when you have dozens of options how do you pick just one?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mcwsky09,
So he COULD in theory change this over to a tactical AR-15 look alike if he wanted as long as he maintains the same receiver?

I ask only because that would be a nice point to drop on him when we go shooting on Christmas Day.

DDad

·
Registered
441 Posts
It would be some what like an AR15 but it isn't going to be a true ar. If he wants an AR a 10/22 dressed up as an AR isn't going to satisfy that.

The 10/22 can be built piece by piece if your going to do a full custom rifle. That way you don't waste money on a stock 10/22 just to end up with bunch of stock parts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts