Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my 4 days off from work I returned today to the job site. One of the ladies that I work with was talking to me how she and another new officer was treated while I was gone. The main count board wasn't changed as they had had some moves. The first shift sgt failed to do this and the second shift sgt called in sick(she is a relief sgt not my regular sgt). So the first shift sgt had to work 4 extra hours and the 3rd shift sgt had to come in 4 hours early at the drop of a hat.
The count wasn't coming out right nothing added up from where the 3rd shift was sitting. The 3rd shift sgt was tired and got mad and sorta lost it and started cussing her in front of the inmates. And yelled and cussed the new officer. It can get maddening there at times, I have trained both of these officers and so when there is a problem they come to me. And I have no trouble at all listen to them.
I talked with the lady and told her what it was like from where he was stand and how maddening it was to him. She told me she now knows why I always like to check the main count board with the main rooster at least once a week usually on my first day back. If there is going to be a mistake on the main count board or rooster, I like to find it and correct it before count time.
I haven't had a chance to talk with the new officer as he is assigned to the main unit and I am assigned to the trustee camp down the road. But I will when he returns to work and hear his side of the story. I am sure he just needs to vent, and sorta get it off his chest. He was of course hurt and mad all at the same time. Here he is trying to do his best and the sgt is all over him in front of inmates.
And like the lady said had I been there I could have fixed it in a few minutes and count would have cleared on time. Well true I could hav had I been there. But I also have almost 30 years on the job too. I had to learn as well, but no one should be chewed in front of the inmates.
I did sit after work a bit and talk with the 3rd shift sgt. he is of course feeling pretty low. I can well understand that too. I did talk with him a little and told him look these two officer's will do anything you ask them to but if your going to yell at them and cuss them in front of inmates your not going to be a sgt very long.
I can smooth this over this time and told him I would take care of it. I did give him some pointers on keeping the board straight and how to over come this sorta thing happening again in the futhure.
We all know that this can happen again, it was just and over sight and can be fixed as no one was lost or escaped and all will work out in the end with just a little team work.
I am the one that the newer officers come to with there troubles well they think they have troubles. But once I help them find a way to work things out, well there it nothing to it.
My Dad told me once you learn to hold the reins all else with fall into place. I guess I haven't done too bad , being and old High Rider or Tall Boss as the inmates say.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
I worked as a Corrections Officer myself for about a year. It was one of the most frustrating jobs I ever had. Like babysitting, really. For you to have done this job for 30 years shows much more dedication than I could ever muster. Corrections Officers get little recognition, and I for one am glad that their are folks like you that go in there day in and day out. Like I was told when I went through the state training, you are in prison just like the inmates, only you get to go home after 8 hours. It is a funny feeling the first time you are locked up with about 200 inmates in a dorm, with not a thing to protect yourself with.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hey Snuffy, did ya ever think we should have been accountants, with all the counting we have to do in the course of a day? Our system of procedures is so picky that if you write one wrong number on the out count slip, you can't simply cross it out and write in the correct number. And all out counted inmates have to be listed in descending order according to their housing unit number, their cell number and their bed number, in that order. One mistake, and the whole count slip has to be redone.

Sucks when you're outcounting 30 or 40 kitchen\dining room workers. If the daily movement sheet (DMS) isn't thoroughly read, or if there's a bed move or a cell move, or God forbid a yard move, counts being cleared on time ain't gonna happen. And if count doesn't clear within a half hour of count being called, then Sacramento has to be notified. You've got inmates out to court, inmates out medical, newly arrived inmates, inmates sent to AdSeg, inmates at work, inmates lagging, and the occasional kookaloo who hides in the bushes thinking we're not going to find her.

I agree wholeheartedly that a supervisor should NEVER dress down any staff in front of other staff and inmates. For that matter, inmates should not be called on the carpet in front of other inmates if it can be avoided. But sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

Being the peacemaker is a tiresome responsibility, but something we all must do at times, some more than others. But as stressful as this job is, I wouldn't trade it for anything. Well, maybe for the manager of the Yankees job, that would be fun. Just as stressful, I'm sure, but lots of fun. I'd bench A-Rod and Jeter just to see old George's reaction.

The nuts and bolts of the prison machine is beyond comprehension for folks who have never worked in one. Quite a synchronized, detailed operation. It's not for everyone, that's for sure. Hang in there, my friend, watch your back, and above all else, be safe.

Peace and God bless, Wolfie.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, ya know I never thought I would make in that job a year. Always thought I was part time, guess I can count myself as full time now lol.
Gunman your right we don't get any pat on the back that is for sure. Wolf, well that is what happen there was several moves and the officers were on top of their job. But the sgt didn't have enough snap to check the main board before count started. He was use to my regular sgt and I being there straightening out first shift mess.
I just have to make it the rest of the week and hopefully there won't be any mess ups while I am there. Is sorta nice to hear them say we needed you, instead of have you been gone? lol

1 - 4 of 4 Posts