Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I attended a seminar/sales presentation by US Law Shield last night sponsored by my local LGS. If you're not familiar, this is a fairly new outgrowth of the Texas Law Shield organization providing legal representation if you use a deadly weapon to defend yourself. I did sign up for it - $10.50 a month.

Even if you have no intention of signing up for their service though, very much worth spending a few hours of your time and $10. The main part of the presentation was by a local lawyer whose primary practice is on the criminal side and really knows the ins and outs of what you can, and more importantly maybe, can't legally do in SD/HD situations. Plenty of time to ask questions and discuss. There was also a presentation (hilarious but very informative) by a LEO on how to handle interactions with law enforcement and what their priorities are versus what yours might be.

Pretty low key and very informative. If you get a chance to go to one of these I would recommend it. Yes, they'd like you to sign up for their business, but not high pressure by any means.

·
Bat Man
1,672 Posts
I have been wanting to attend one of those, do you have a website where the schedule of events is posted?

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
The gun club I belong to had a local retired LEO and a local attorney do a similar seminar in October. It sold out immediately and they have scheduled another for January. JMO, but it is very important for every person who carries or is a gun owner to know the real law, not just the stuff the "experts" spread on the internet.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It appears the link to upcoming seminars is broken right now. You might want to give it a day or so.
https://www.uslawshield.com

Incidentally, since you're in GA too, Georgia Carry org was there too. Both the lawyer and the policeman were extremely complimentary to them as essentially the authors of the bills reforming the stupid stuff in GA's gun laws. So I intend to join them too.

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
It would be very good for a lot of people to take these classes.

Maybe less shoplifters running through walmart parking lots would be shot at. ;)

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
The gun club I belong to had a local retired LEO and a local attorney do a similar seminar in October. It sold out immediately and they have scheduled another for January. JMO, but it is very important for every person who carries or is a gun owner to know the real law, not just the stuff the "experts" spread on the internet.
Yep, very important.
But why? If we could get the 2A at its root and bring Constitutional Gun laws back to America, like it should be, this "means of support" would go away and we could all go back to making an honest living. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep, very important.
But why? If we could get the 2A at its root and bring Constitutional Gun laws back to America, like it should be, this "means of support" would go away and we could all go back to making an honest living. :rolleyes:
As long as we have stupid people doing stupid things we will have lawyers. Which means forever. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
185 Posts
i think it is a good deal

When I did my CC course, Texas Gun Shield did an infomercial during a "break."
I signed up for their service, with auto renewal. Once my wife had been to the range a few times and had mastered the basics (unload, reload, aiming, firing, tap and clear, basic safety), I added her on there, as well.

It is basically prepaid legal, specific to gun use.
They have been on the ground here for a long time, and have a great reputation.

They regularly give these lawyer-guidance classes down here. Plus, they have a pdf book covering the main legal issues with owning, carrying, and God forbid using.

If you have to draw, ever, for any reason, you are basically going to have legal issues and several thousand dollars of legal expenses at a minimum. The insurance, plus access to lawyer-developed education is good peace of mind.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I am a member and I have attended the course a couple of times. Very informative, great information on Texas laws...not sure about other states. But well worth the $10 to attend.

·
Registered
17,167 Posts
That would be handy if charges are filed, but most self defense shootings have no charges filed.
I think it's more important to be the first one to call 911.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That would be handy if charges are filed, but most self defense shootings have no charges filed.
I think it's more important to be the first one to call 911.
They make it very clear your 1st call is to 911, the second call is to them. And it was as important to me that they represent you in civil cases arising from a shooting.

Or as the lawyer put it - the guy was for sure an outstanding citizen who was a shoo-in for a full ride to Harvard and to make a major difference to humanity...

Just as soon as he got his ankle tracker removed...

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I hope they eventually get to Massachusetts! However, I expect it will be a while.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts