Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I watched a video from Hickok45 a few days ago and according to him, I learned that I'd been mistaken about what rifle the Americans primarily used during WWI.

I'd thought for a long time that we used the 1903 Springfield. But apparently, we used mostly what he's calling the 1917 Lee Enfield which also has a host of other names.

Apparently, it was for production reasons and cost. But rest assured, we did shoot the good old (well, new then) 30-06.

Check out this video and see if you learn anything. I sure did. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM9LRs31JYU

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
Yep, I watched that a few days ago. Quite a history lesson.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
The US did use more M1917 Enfields in WWI than 1903's. We didn't have enough Sopringields so they decided converting Enfields to .30-06 was easier than making Springfield's, so that's what they did. Sgt. Alvin York, the most famous US soldier of WWI, definitely used the Enfield during the battle that won him the MOH. It's disputed as to whether or not he used it the whole war or not. I am actually a big fan of the 1917 Lee Enfield rifle.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Yeah, they are a great rifle. I have one of the Winchesters. Back a whole lot of years ago when I was a pup, you could buy them all day long at the military surplus stores for about $17.00 a piece. I wish I had bought a boat load of them. If you can find them with a good bore, they are some great shooters with a strong action.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The US did use more M1917 Enfields in WWI than 1903's. We didn't have enough Sopringields so they decided converting Enfields to .30-06 was easier than making Springfield's, so that's what they did. Sgt. Alvin York, the most famous US soldier of WWI, definitely used the Enfield during the battle that won him the MOH. It's disputed as to whether or not he used it the whole war or not. I am actually a big fan of the 1917 Lee Enfield rifle.
According to Hick0k45 in the video, yes, York used an Enfield for his MOH battle, but didn't like the rifle and referred to it as the "British rifle", with the 1903 being his preference, which he called the "American rifle".

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
According to Hick0k45 in the video, yes, York used an Enfield for his MOH battle, but didn't like the rifle and referred to it as the "British rifle", with the 1903 being his preference, which he called the "American rifle".
I can believe that, he was biased as many Americans are. I however am not, and couldn't care less where a rifle is made if it's good....... I prefer the 1917 Enfield.:D

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can believe that, he was biased as many Americans are. I however am not, and couldn't care less where a rifle is made if it's good....... I prefer the 1917 Enfield.:D
Well, I've never shot either so I'll yield to people like you who have actually fired them. :D

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm sure it was a good rifle, but I like the bolt design on the 1903 better. Hickok45 seemed to be having a bit of trouble with it in the video. I know that the British were famous for their furious 10 or whatever it was called where they rapid fired their Enfields. But the bolt shape just looks awkward to me.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
I'm sure it was a good rifle, but I like the bolt design on the 1903 better. Hickok45 seemed to be having a bit of trouble with it in the video. I know that the British were famous for their furious 10 or whatever it was called where they rapid fired their Enfields. But the bolt shape just looks awkward to me.
Actually, the dog leg bolt design aids you in rapid firing. Once you get used to the dog leg design, you can and will shoot faster than someone with the normal bolt design.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts