Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am quite new to gun using. Just wonder that between the 148 grain wadcutter and 125 grain golden saber, which one is more suittable to use for home defense within the building or in the apartment room.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Check the Library for Iowegan's thread on Home Protection. First part is his excellent post on the use of wadcutters for home protection (inside), plus a lot of discussion.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
No science here, but I keep wadcutters in my HD guns with the thought that usually those target loads are not loaded "Full Tilt" so I won't have over penetration and they're light recoiling meaning my second, third shot will be easier to get to. Smithy.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Hey Buffalo 11, not to be a smart a$$, but I live in the USA so are you saying I should check with the Fed's? Or did you mean "county" and check with the sheriff? Seriously now, regardless of who, what should you have me be checking? If wadcutters are legal? I pretty much thing that any bullet short of armor piercing or in CA's case tracer ammo as well are the only ones that might be a no go. Hollow points, semi-wadcutter, wadcutter, round nose, round nose flat point, all are considered the same and that is a bullet or projectile. Smithy.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Hey Buffalo 11, not to be a smart a$$, but I live in the USA so are you saying I should check with the Fed's? Or did you mean "county" and check with the sheriff? Seriously now, regardless of who, what should you have me be checking? If wadcutters are legal? I pretty much thing that any bullet short of armor piercing or in CA's case tracer ammo as well are the only ones that might be a no go. Hollow points, semi-wadcutter, wadcutter, round nose, round nose flat point, all are considered the same and that is a bullet or projectile. Smithy.
Or maybe since Law Enforcement types are professionals they might have good insight what's best? I didn't see legality issues listed anywhere.

·
Banned
402 Posts
No need to check with anyone, but go ahead if it makes you sleep better or you think there may be some kind of local ordinance.
As a new gun owner or new to firearms your question is a good one.
Velocity and weight are strong contributors to penetration also muzzle energy.
If you are defending yourself and deadly force is called for the encounter must end quickly.
With that you don't want a wimpy round that will not incapacitate as fast as possible.
Central nervous system hits and loss of blood pressure is what does the job.
A big concern for home owners is over penetration, people in another room, bullets exiting a house or apartment and going street bound. Most bullets will penetrate sheet rock of the common 1/2" or 3/8" thickness. The WC has more mass than the 125 golden saber
the WC is going slower the 125 GS is going faster.
If we are talking about GS HP bullets hitting a target ( human ) they will slow down some do to the parachute effect of the HP as it opens in tissue.
Thinking a HP bullet will mash on impact and slow down when hitting an object not human is not going to happen most times. As in very often. Why ? because the HP bullet depends on hydro licks to open, it's the fluid in the HP opening that opens the bullet. You want to achieve as much energy dump inside the target, bullets that go through are wasting energy and keep going.
Here are some links to a very viable option made by Corbon.
Glaser Safety Slug at Dakota Ammo - COR®BON/Glaser Self Defense and Tactical Gear

Glaser Blue Safety Slug Ammo 38 Special 80 Grain Safety Slug
38-special-80-grain-safety-slug

Glaser Safety Slug?

http://www.brassfetcher.com/Brassfetcher_evaluates_9mm_Glaser_Safety_Slug.pdf

CORBON Glaser Safety Slug Product Demonstration Video - YouTube

Glaser Safety Slug .40 blue vs silver through wall - YouTube

Check them out, you should get some info, if you don't like those at least you have an idea of what is being said and why. + there are similar rounds to be had.
Hope it helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts