Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm new to the forum but have been a Ruger fan for quite awhile. My LGS has an older Bearcat for sale (Ser# 90-something) on consignment for $300. It looks to be in good mechanical condition, but most of the bluing is gone from the barrel. There are also some discolored splotches on the barrel, but it doesn't feel pitted.

I asked if they would take $250, and they are contacting the seller to see if they would. I figured I should ask the Bearcat experts here on the forum for your opinions on the barrel condition and price, before the LGS calls me back.

Purpose for the gun would be plinking, but it doesn't sound (from what I have read) that they are extremely accurate. I have a 22/45 which I love and want to add a SA .22 revolver, so I'm also considering a Single Ten - but that's a lot more $$. Should I save up for the Single Ten instead of the Bearcat, or would this Bearcat be too good a deal to pass up?

I would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks very much.

·
Registered
873 Posts
If you plan on shooting anything besides pop cans and phone books with it, I'd hold out for the Single Ten. If the choice was mine, I'd have the apple shot off my head with the ST rather than the Bearcat even though I have to admit, I like the looks of the BC better!

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Hi all,
I'm new to the forum but have been a Ruger fan for quite awhile. My LGS has an older Bearcat for sale (Ser# 90-something) on consignment for $300. It looks to be in good mechanical condition, but most of the bluing is gone from the barrel. There are also some discolored splotches on the barrel, but it doesn't feel pitted.

I asked if they would take $250, and they are contacting the seller to see if they would. I figured I should ask the Bearcat experts here on the forum for your opinions on the barrel condition and price, before the LGS calls me back.

Purpose for the gun would be plinking, but it doesn't sound (from what I have read) that they are extremely accurate. I have a 22/45 which I love and want to add a SA .22 revolver, so I'm also considering a Single Ten - but that's a lot more $$. Should I save up for the Single Ten instead of the Bearcat, or would this Bearcat be too good a deal to pass up?

I would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks very much.
The Bearcat is a sweet shooting little SA. I have a New Bearcat and love it. I also have a Single Ten, which, of course, is larger and heavier.

The single biggest limitation on the Bearcat is the sights. Even as fixed sights go, they are crude. The small size of the Bearcat also makes it more challenging to shoot accurately, in comparison to a Single Six or Ten. These are reasons that Bearcats often get an undeserved rap as not being accurate. Truth is, they are inherently quite accurate. Mine will shoot consistent inch and a half groups at 15 yards from a rest on a day when my eyes are up to it and the lighting conditions are good. That's pretty amazing, given the Bearcat sights and small size.

If you're looking for an easier to shoot SA, shop around for a used Single Six. Plenty of those to be had at a similar price to that Bearcat and that same money will likely get you a used SS in better to much better shape, too. IMO, a Bearcat in that shape, unless it is a special Bearcat, such as a Super, is pricey at $300. In general, I also avoid consignment guns, because the owners typically inflate the price and don't bargain much and you have to go through the middleman, namely the gun shop, to even start the bargaining. Always worth a try, though, if you really want that gun. Good luck.

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
Bearcats are my favorite guns, hands down. It's their overall construction, operation, appearance, and size that make them a winner for me.

The fixed sights are their limitation. Both of mine shoot dead-on for windage. I have to remember a different sight picture for each distance. You have to do the same with adjustable sights, or reset them for each distance.

I sold a Single-Six as being pointless for me after I got my Bearcats. More accurate, yes, but a pound heavier and not as handy. It would have just collected dust in the safe.

I agree that $300 is high for one with a worn finish. $250 is a decent deal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for the replies. Certainly a lot to consider. If I got the Bearcat, I think I would still want a Single Ten or Single Six down the road :) I guess a "good deal" on the Bearcat would also depend on if it had the box, paperwork, etc. I am assuming this is an aluminum frame Bearcat due to the 90- serial # and the brass colored trigger guard. I suppose the barrel could be re-blued at some point, but cost-wise don't know if it would be worth it.

I haven't heard back from the LGS yet. If anyone else would like to weigh in as to a decent price, I would surely be grateful! Thanks.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Out in Calif where I live (Disneyland) Anaheim....Bearcats sell at Gun-shows for $350-$400. A $250 price with some cold blue would be fine for a working/ plinking gun.

I've owned a Super Bearcat that I shot a squirrel at 100 yards with back in the '70's. Sold it and later bought a 90- # to replace it with. It is a very accurate gun. If you want one, buy it and later get a Single Six.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
How does it fit your hand? When we owned a bearcat, it was much more accurate in my wife's smaller hand than it was in mine, so it became "her" revolver. At $250, you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, my LGS never did call me back with a price. But... I found another Bearcat at another shop in town! This one is in much better shape and older too. Serial # 738xx which I think puts it at 1966-67. The only "problem" is it looks as though someone tried removing the base pin with pliers (it's a little chewed up and there's a scratch on the underside of the barrel - see pics). But all in all, in much better condition. The blueing is near perfect. Price was $395, which might be a little high, but considering the "times" we are are in, I went ahead and bought it. Can't wait to take it to the range!
Did I do okay? Oh, and should I have the transfer bar upgrade done?
Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not sure why the pics did not show up. They are in photobucket and I copied and pasted the URLs...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts