Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a used gp100 at my LGS.
It looks very nice on the outside. What should I be checking to Makeep sure that it is a good buy?

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
You can tell what year of mfg by getting the serial # and call Ruger. Personally I would prefer to find a nice used GP100 over a new one hope things work out!!!

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Check for forcing cone erosion (obvious damage, heat "crazing") and look for an excessive flame cut, to make sure it hasn't been beat up by 110-135 gr. .357's.

Otherwise, besides mistreatment or some wierd kitchen table gunsmithing there's not much that can be done to hurt a GP100.

Make sure the crane isn't bent from someone "Hollywood flipping" it.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
I was looking at my GP100 just last night. What a freaking tank that gun is. I was thinking I need to figure out who is going to get that one because it for sure is going to outlast me. Just check what's been said already and if you like the price you're going to love the gun.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had another look at the GP100 and paid for it today. btw, I didn't pay the tag price shown in the picture. This will accompany my GP100 5 inch barrel.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
You probably did very well. A GP is one of the strongest revolvers ever made in a production setting.

A used one is probably just as good as a new unless it been run through a drop hammer forge more than once.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Very nice especially since you got it at a good price. Enjoy shooting it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts