Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a question for all those GP100 Wiley Clap owners.

I recently bought a "new" one online and received it today. While i was cleaning it i noticed some numbers scratched into the frame. My first reaction was, " its Used!" but then i thought it may be numbers from the Talo factory. I really hope thats the case because i hate to think this Dealer would knowingly sell a used gun as "new". Before i call and complain on monday,i want to confirm that the Talo factory does not add their own Numbers to the frame.

the question: does anyone have a number on the piece between the frame and the cylinder?

Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
They are common assembly numbers that Ruger uses during manufacture. Every GP100 has them. Talo doesnt assemble anything, nor have a factory. They simply contract with Ruger to make exclusive firearms, then sell them through a network of distributors.

Your first firearm... ?

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
TALO Distributors Inc

TALO is a wholesale buying cooperative that includes companies like Davidson's, Lipsey's and others. It started 50 years ago with members from Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana and Oklahoma (TALO). TALO commissions unique variations of standard products from Ruger, S&W, Colt, Glock, and NAA and the member distributors of TALO sell them through their dealers. TALO doesn't manufacture or even warehouse anything. As a buying cooperative these distributors can flex a larger buying muscle and commit to minimum orders that each individual distributor would be less willing to take on by themselves. Everybody wins - the manufacturer gets a commitment to buy a large order, the distributors get favorable pricing on customized models and we get some pretty cool guns like the Wiley Clapp GP100.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Yeah I think mine had that......I ended up selling mine because I swear it was a used gun sold as new on Gunbroker. I sent it back to Ruger twice. It shot extremely low. They replaced the barrel. I then had them check BC gap. They installed some shims. It would have light primer strikes every once in awhile. I got fed up with it and sold it and replaced with a standard blue 6" GP.
I'm still ticked at Ruger for selling these "Limited" run handguns. The only reason I bought one off the Internet is because they were not being built any longer. Two months after I bought a "new" one they come out with another run. I'm still not happy about that, but continue to be a Ruger fan!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is great news! I'm relieved to know this is "normal" although I've never seen this practice before. It really looks like a 10 yr old kid scratched those numbers into the frame with a knife. This is my first Ruger and I was under the impression the pistol was sent to Talo to have the Wiley features added/installed. Live and Learn! This is why I joined the forum.

Thank you for the swift and gentle replies.

Merry Christmas!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts