Ruger Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know someone who is selling a used mini 14 stainless with the serial number 184-159xx for $600. It comes with several 20 rd mags. I have shot the rifle and it shoots accuratly, just plinking and is in excellent shape. Is this kind of a steep price hes asking?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
I just looked on gunbroker and that isn't a bad bad price compared to what I saw there

·
Registered
35 Posts
I know someone who is selling a used mini 14 stainless with the serial number 184-159xx for $600. It comes with several 20 rd mags. I have shot the rifle and it shoots accuratly, just plinking and is in excellent shape. Is this kind of a steep price hes asking?

Thanks!!
Pre-Sandy Hook that would be a high price for a pencil-barreled Mini 14, but the assault ban gun-buying frenzy has caused all Mini-14/30s to go up in value. If those mags are factory Rugers, then I'd say the price is more than fair in this current environment.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Have a new Mini 14 I bought a week after the election for $629 plus tax at WalMart...

Saw one about a week to 10 days ago NIB going upo and still being bid on @ $1200... so if you can get that one for $600 and it is in farly good shape, then YEAH that is a GREAT deal...

·
Registered
157 Posts
All the Mini 14 I have looked at are up in price some more than AR `s . When calling around lately most gun shops have none , and said they go quickly .

·
Registered
999 Posts
Ruger is selling a lot of them now.....since ak47/AR15's are banned in many states like mine where the Mini is the go to gun now in 5.56.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
I don't know what your definition of "accurate" is, but pencil barrel Mini 14's like the 184 you're looking at will need an Accustrut to get it closer to what is possible with one of the new tapered (heavier) barreled Minis. So that adds $90 to the $600.
You can get a new 583 Mini for somewhere in the $700 range.

Some shops and individuals are asking ( and sometimes getting) way too much for older Mini's. I see old pencil barrel Mini's at gunshows, many of them beat up and bubba-ed up with heat shields cheap folders, long Chinese pin on flash hiders and several no name junk magazines, and the sellers are asking $1000 or $1100.
Someone would have to be an idiot to pay that for a POS, when you can get a new Tactical for $800.

I have got older pencil (.560" diameter barrel) Mini-14's to shoot quite well after installing a strut. Older Mini's do have one redeeming feature. They were made with better care and quality control and don't have the rougher casting and tool marks that the newer ones do. You hear a lot of guys here and on perfectunion's Mini section having to send a brand new Mini back for issues.

Older Mini-30's don't have the accuracy, stringing and heat issues that the older Mini-14's do as the pre 580 Mini-30s have always had a heavier .625" barrel, same as the new 580+ Mini-14's.
All 4 of my Mini-30's, 3 189 series and one 196, shot 2 MOA or a bit under with factory ammo. With some mods and my handloads they are almost 1 MOA.
A far cry from the "minute of 55 gal drum" and "minute of barn door" that you hear all the time from "internet experts".

·
Registered
385 Posts
I don't know what your definition of "accurate" is, but pencil barrel Mini 14's like the 184 you're looking at will need an Accustrut to get it closer to what is possible with one of the new tapered (heavier) barreled Minis. So that adds $90 to the $600.
You can get a new 583 Mini for somewhere in the $700 range.

Some shops and individuals are asking ( and sometimes getting) way too much for older Mini's. I see old pencil barrel Mini's at gunshows, many of them beat up and bubba-ed up with heat shields cheap folders, long Chinese pin on flash hiders and several no name junk magazines, and the sellers are asking $1000 or $1100.
Someone would have to be an idiot to pay that for a POS, when you can get a new Tactical for $800.

I have got older pencil (.560" diameter barrel) Mini-14's to shoot quite well after installing a strut. Older Mini's do have one redeeming feature. They were made with better care and quality control and don't have the rougher casting and tool marks that the newer ones do. You hear a lot of guys here and on perfectunion's Mini section having to send a brand new Mini back for issues.

Older Mini-30's don't have the accuracy, stringing and heat issues that the older Mini-14's do as the pre 580 Mini-30s have always had a heavier .625" barrel, same as the new 580+ Mini-14's.
All 4 of my Mini-30's, 3 189 series and one 196, shot 2 MOA or a bit under with factory ammo. With some mods and my handloads they are almost 1 MOA.
A far cry from the "minute of 55 gal drum" and "minute of barn door" that you hear all the time from "internet experts".
Well out! What Sandog said!

·
Exalted One
1,903 Posts
Proof positive, "the Internet is forever"...A 2013 post resurrected!

Fine. Subsequent postings are good, particularly for newer members.

Love both my 181GB and 583 Tactical, built 40 years apart.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Sandog is spot on. My 583 Series Mini-14 with the thicker barrel came from the factory new shooting about 2" groups and after some tweaks, it shoots an honest 1¼ MOA using my 62grn Hornady bullet handloads. Those tweaks cost me about what a decent trigger for an AR costs so that it too can shoot under 2" groups too.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have been into the AR stuff for 40 years , had a couple 1965 Colt guns , also a few Mini 14`s G/B models . I just pick up a real nice stainless 182 series . I gave it a good clean up inside and out, cleaned the stock which has great grain to it . I have a field with a rock which stands up about 3 to 4 feet at the one side and I can whack that thing all day long with this Mini 14 about 250 or so shot .

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Triaxle, good on you for resurrecting an nice old 182 Mini ( and a 6 year old thread).
I should hope you could hit a 3 to 4 foot target at 250 yards.
My groups at that range, with a rest, average 3 to 4 inches, and you don't necessarily need a scope to do it. This was shot with a Burris FastFire red dot.

If your Mini ejects 30 to 40 feet, I'd suggest a smaller bushing to get that excess gas down. Like a .045" one. And some Wilson 1911 buffers.
Get a two clamp Accustrut for that pencil barrel 182, and do the dimple mod on the set screws.
If you really want to see some good accuracy out of that older Mini, lop an inch or two off the barrel, recrown it and thread for a flash hider ( or use a Choate pin on).

If your's is a non Ranch model, they tend to eject more straight up and make mounting a scope or dot over the action more difficult. Plus you don't have the intregal scope bases of the Ranch or rail that the new Mini's come tapped for.
For those the Ultimak railed handguard is the best and easiest way to mount an optic.

And if you don't reload, try several different brands and weights of ammo, don't be discouraged if your Mini doesn't do well with the first one you try.
You can look at a chart like this to determine what twist your Mini's barrel has, looks like the 182's had a 1-10" twist. So your's with probably do better with bullets in the medium weight range, 55 grains, plus or minus 5 grains.
https://rugerforum.net/ruger-semi-a...14-30-manufacture-date-twist-rate-update.html

·
Registered
157 Posts
This was just me on a ATV ride over along the field , and I decided to work on the ole rock , which I have done for years .

·
Registered
157 Posts
I saw a newer Mini 14 500 series area , with the fact shorter barrel , G/B type flash hide , blk stock for 649 . I got to thinking all week on it ,called they still had it . I put on hold will get today . I do not see many of this model around its 223.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts