Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm new here, hoping someone can offer their opinion...

I grew up around guns, my father was a highly accomplished marksman. Not a lot of handguns in his collection and all were revolvers. I always liked the idea of revolvers because there was never any question about whether it was loaded or not. But, I was also taught from a very young age to 100% of the time treat a weapon as if it were loaded, even if you know it's not. So in theory that's a non issue.

Anyway, a friend of mine is selling a P95. Only had about 200 rounds through it. For $300. I am considering this gun for two purposes: I work right around the corner from the NRA range and would like to just use it there recreationally, and also to have around for home defense. The only other gun I own is a nice post-war Winchester Model 94, but that's a little involved for my wife if she were to need it if I'm not home.

Questions: Is this a good gun for what I want it for? Is that a fair price? If that is my budget range (it is), is there some other used gun I should be looking at? I like the idea of the known history of this gun. Also, my wife wants to take a class if we get it and I will take it with her, but I assume this is a very appropriate handgun for a woman to use.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice. Sorry for the long post. Ed.

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Welcome to the Board. Glad you're here. Make yourself at home and enjoy. If you get a chance , introduce yourself in the new member section. The P95 is an excellent gun and would be good for what you want it for. For a gun with only 200 rounds through it, and from a friend, 300.00 don't sound like a bad price. :D

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
Is it a "Newer" model, textured grip, rails and curved trigger guard? Or is it the "Older" model... no rail, slick grip?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Since you can get a brand new one for about $320, I vote no on the used one for $300.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, I thought it was like $480 new. Maybe I'm confused about all the different models.

I just noticed that there was a gun show in my area LAST WEEKEND! Probably could have gotten a good deal on a new one.

Can you advise me where I can get a new P95 for under $350??

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, cool. Thanks!

So, what is the Rail and why is it good? Sorry if that's a dumb question. I'm very inexperienced with these guns...

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
P95's are great pistols! Talk your buddy down $30.00 & buy it. A rail will let you attatch a laser or flashlight ect. to your handgun.
By the way, the only dumb questions are the ones that you don't ask. Ask anything you want around here, One of the good people on this forum will give you an answer. In fact, you'll more than likely get plenty of good advise! Welcome!:)

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
The link you provided shows the older type... Here is the newer type that I own... It has the textured grip, curved trigger guard and light/laser rails under the barrel...

·
Registered
253 Posts
My P95 is a 1998 model with no rail and a smooth grip. I have no use for a rail.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Sorry ya missed the gunshow Eddie. It was pretty good. I too have the older P95 with squared trigger guard and no rail, got it for $250 pretax. Most of the new ones around here are going for $350, so I would have no qualms helping your buddy out if I was you. Seems like a win-win to me.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
He's selling it to finance another gun he wants. But considering the availability, maybe I can talk him down a bit more.

I really appreciate all the friendly feedback, this is a great forum. Thanks all. I will post my decisions and progress.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
$300 FTF even steven, ain't a bad deal for a LNIB P95. Only 200 rounds through it. I'd be on it like white on rice.
Just my peace.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have actually decided on a new GP100 revolver! Picking it up this Saturday! But my friend's gun is still for sale, maybe I should post it for him on the classified section?

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Mine was, IIRC, $369 + tax but I've seen ones on gunbroker that were under $300, including an older model NIB that was $250 a few months ago.

I need a GP100 also :D

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey Taurus, you found my very first post!! That used gun, which I did not buy, is what brought me to this forum! I should buy it just for that!

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
You won't get any argument from me Eddie. :D I've found the P95 is a fantastic pistol with good ergonomics, accurate, built like a tank, minimal recoil and eats whatever I feed it. I use the 15 round factory mags that it came as well as a couple of 20 rounders that I swap between it and my PC9 carbine.

If you do get it, please let us know what you think.
:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts