Ruger Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A local shop has a bunch of used SR 22 pistols for sale. These are stock pistols that were used in CCW classes. They look alright but I have no idea how many rounds have gone through them. The salesman I talked to didn't know either.
If you were buying one, what would you replace? I assume the RSA would be high on the list. Anything else?
What other potential problems should I look for?
BTW, They are selling with just one mag, and asking price is $299.
Thanks.

· Registered
745 Posts
That is about half of retail so they might be worth a look. Check the slide for wear, does it rock in the rails, is the barrel loose? Field strip one and inspect everything closely to look for wear and what might need replaced. Check the slide rails and barrel/bushing.
I've heard of people who say that they put hundreds of thousands of rounds through plastic pistols. Those might have a lot of life left in them.

OK I just checked Cabelas and new are $440-$480. It sucks that one new mag is $36!
I'd also check other brands, Walther has a new P22Q for about $330 and S&W for about $400.

And I just saw another site that shows many new SR22s for $400.

· Registered
1,261 Posts
We own one and it has been a good pistol since it was sent back for feed issues.

I wouldn't buy new now that I own one, since its main purpose for us is plinking.

Main reasons for not buying a new one: It is DA / SA, which is not what our carry guns are. Reverse direction of the thumb safety (which is up) opposite of the normal / more popular motion (down). Not a target pistol if you may be looking for something for competition. Magazine safety (trigger does not operate unless magazine is loaded)

Likes: fits hand well for both my wife and I, shoots accurately for what it is, a fun 22 plinker.

$300 sounds about right. You can justify spending $450 by buying $150 in ammo for it. I like that idea.

· Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys. You make some very good points. I checked their website this morning and they are down from 10 pistols to just 3. Someone seems to think it's a good deal. After posting this and considering the cost if I did need to have repairs made, buying a new one makes more sense.

· Registered
6,074 Posts
My humble opinion, when members here are asked what your gun is worth…replies are on the low side. When members here sell a gun…they are typically asking near top dollar.

I probably have done both myself.

· Registered
60 Posts
I’m a solid Ruger guy and have an SR22. I also have a Taurus TX22. The TX22 is a far more reliable and accurate pistol than the SR22. A new TX22 is the same price as those used range SR’s. Just my “for what it’s worth” comment.
My wife finally decided she wanted to start carrying a pistol for self defense. She is also a total newb when it comes to handling/shooting pistols. There is no way I was going to agree with her decision if the only ones to choose from were striker fired as I feel a hammer fired pistol/manual safety is safer for her to use.

I don't think cap guns are worthy as a defensive tool but accept the fact it is better than being unable to defend yourself. I just hope she has the where for all to actually use it if need be. I wish this country was a safer place to live but it's gotten too crazy to not be armed all the time, at home or in public.

Bill

1 - 15 of 15 Posts