Ruger Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I acquired a considerable quantity (for me anyway) of bulk 9mm ammo yesterday at the Gander Mountain T-day sale and am contemplating how to best store it… I have some plastic ammo cans that I’m planning on using, but the thought occurred to me that I could break it down into smaller units (like 100rds) and protect it using our “FoodSaver” machine but I have a couple of questions/concerns:
1 – Would I need to put a descant packet in the bags with the rounds before I vacuumed & sealed them?
2 – Any concerns with the vacuum process deforming cases?
3 – What about the vacuuming process potentially putting enough pressure that the rim or tip of one round on the primer of another to cause a round fire? (I realize it’s a long shot, just wondering if it’s even in the realm of possibilities)

·
Registered
477 Posts
How many years are you planning on storing it and where? If you are planning on shooting it over the next 5 years and its stored in a normal living space environment I would say it is unnecessary to vacuum pack.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I guarantee that the .45acp that I shot in the Marines in 1969 wasn't vacuum packed and it still worked fine. The date on the case said 1957. I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Personally I wouldn't vacuum pack the rounds. But storing them in the plastic or metal ammo cans is a good idea if you put in a dessicant packet with them.
If you vacuum out the air the vacuum might pull on the bullet from the case as there is a small amount of air in the case with the gunpowder.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
It will probably outlast you just the way it is.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I've shot 45 ammo from WWII that worked just fine.

Keeping it dry like your house probably is, will most likely work just fine. But if you look at NATO Battle Packs they're in a very heavy sealed plastic 'sack'. They're 200 rounds in each "battle pack" and you know how long the military wants stuff to last...

I can't see where the vacumn packing will hurt anything but unless you're planning on storing it in damp basement or such, I don't see where it will make much difference either.

·
Registered
965 Posts
It probably wouldn't hurt to try, I wonder if that would keep them from getting tarnished?
I have some two year old factory ammo that has tarnish rings from sitting in the factory box.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I have an aquaintace that is a "prepper" vacuum seals everything in case he ever has to bury it or something. He started when obama got elected the first time. So far, everything seems perfectly preserved.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have some 9mm that I vacuum sealed and a bunch of brass I wont be using for years sealed as well.

The 9mm I like to keep in lots of 100. I could use ziplock bags, and used to, until I pulled one out upside down and it dumped 100 9mm rounds on the ground.... Vacuum packing bags are way tougher than your average ziplock too.

The brass alone I will pull full vacuum, but on the loaded rounds I dont. O just run the machine till the bag forms to the rounds and seal it. I dont know that it would be an issue, but I dont see a reason to do it. One thing that crossed my mind is pulling the full vacuum, then the pressure in the cases pushing the bullets out some... Like I said, I dont know if it would actualy be a problem, but I dont see a reason to test it out.... I dont put desiccant in there with it, but I also dont load in high humidity.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I have some 9mm that I vacuum sealed and a bunch of brass I wont be using for years sealed as well.

The 9mm I like to keep in lots of 100. I could use ziplock bags, and used to, until I pulled one out upside down and it dumped 100 9mm rounds on the ground.... Vacuum packing bags are way tougher than your average ziplock too.

The brass alone I will pull full vacuum, but on the loaded rounds I dont. O just run the machine till the bag forms to the rounds and seal it. I dont know that it would be an issue, but I dont see a reason to do it. One thing that crossed my mind is pulling the full vacuum, then the pressure in the cases pushing the bullets out some... Like I said, I dont know if it would actualy be a problem, but I dont see a reason to test it out.... I dont put desiccant in there with it, but I also dont load in high humidity.
The only reason I might vacuum pack is if I feared the ammo getting wet somehow.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I bought several 22 cal bricks at a yard sale in 1980, put them in some 50 cal boxes, and they have been out in the various garages wherever I have lived. I now have only a couple of bricks left, the lead has a bit of white on it, but they still fire 100% in any of my 22 pistols or rifles. I'm talking about here in Nowhere KY where my garage is as humid as a bucket of water and as hot as the sun all summer. I also have stored other various caliber ammo in assorted US ammo cans for many years, and nary a problem. My only caveat would be that the steel cased stuff should probably be stored in a less humid environment.

·
Registered
300 Posts
After giving this a bit of thought, I am curious to hear if anyone is taking ammo out of the paper boxes and storing loose in ammo cans? Paperboard has a fair amount of sulphur in it, and could start corrosion and tarnishing, especially in the case of steel ammo. So far, I kept all of my ammo in the boxes, and the brass will get a little dull, but I am just now learning about steel cased ammo.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts