Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from a gun show here locally, and found a 32-40 Krag in the No.1 configuration. The stock was walnut but not fancy by any means, it did appear to be brand new and in the unfired condition. They were asking $650 for it, simply because as she stated there isn't a big demand for that caliber.

What say those in the know as far as value etc. for such an arm?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Do you possibly mean 30-40 Krag? No matter, if it was a 33-267 jetfire bumblesticker, no #1 in new, unfired condition should be passed up for $650!!!! Go back, go back now!!!

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The more I looked into it, it appears to be a model 3 as it has the Sporter stock. No pistol grip. My other question is what will it cost for ammo, note I'm a reloader and believe I have the powder, however the bullets are .309, and I'm having a problem locating the casings. BTW where would one find the casings?

·
Registered
805 Posts
The Krag uses .308 bullets. As far as brass goes good luck you are going to need it. It is a low demand cartridge and in these days I bet it is out of production until further notice. You might come closer to finding loaded ammo.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well I got up bright and early and got my tail down to the gun show, and picked up that little gem. I noted when I got home that it was made in 1976, and never fired as I had to clean the cosmoline out of it. Inscribed on the right side of the barrel was the inscription that "made in the 200th year of American Liberty". The vender also through in 22 primed casing of 30-40 Krag. I'm having a heck of a time finding brass for it, so if anybody has an idea I'd definitely be interested. I already ordered the dies for it.

DSCN1412.JPG

DSCN1413.JPG

DSCN1414.JPG

DSCN1415.JPG

Incidentally it's a No.3 not the No.1 btw I got a lot of information on it on another forum that I'm a member, found out that $650.00 was a very reasonable price.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
That's a score for you!

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
bwinters, tried that also, they don't even list the 30-40 Krag.
Midway has Remington .30-40 ammunition in stock, but the brass is "unavailable".

Jim

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It must have just become available, as I checked there first, ended up getting it at Able's Sporting goods here just this morning. Sure do wish they had that as I ordered my dies thru Midway.

·
Registered
224 Posts
You got lucky for sure, what a treasure. I NEVER see No 3's for sale, as a matter of fact, I have never held one. Just buy up ammo when it presents itself, re load on the mild side, and your brass will last a long time. Enjoy, and when and if you decide to sell, you will certainly come out ahead. win / win !!

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not sure if I mentioned it or not, but when I went back to get the 30-40 Krag, she had another one that had appeared to be slightly used, but had a $850 price on it. The only difference I could see was the stock was a lot prettier, but obviously used, than my new unfired one, but it too was in 30-40 Krag. I tried to get an explanation from her but she was really vague.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Not sure if I mentioned it or not, but when I went back to get the 30-40 Krag, she had another one that had appeared to be slightly used, but had a $850 price on it. The only difference I could see was the stock was a lot prettier, but obviously used, than my new unfired one, but it too was in 30-40 Krag. I tried to get an explanation from her but she was really vague.
Nice find and happy for you that it was still there and you got it.
The second one, vague about it? Sounds almost like she had to give more for it herself so has to charge more for it.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well yesterday I took delivery on those 30-40 cartridges from Ables, so now I have at least 42 cases to deal with. The first 22 cases I loaded with Speer 150 grain, and shot them at 100 yards, nothing spectacular as far as accuracy. Just reloaded the 22 using the 173 grain hand cast with a gas check, but haven't had a chance to try them out yet as the wind is blowing like crazy here.

·
Super Moderator
22,113 Posts
Suspect it will like a heavier bullet as it's an old military caliber back when big and slow was the norm.

Cabelas has Remington ammo for sale.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I hear ya Terry, the problem is I still haven't ordered the 220 grain Barnes bullets in .308 or for that matter any brand. Like I mentioned I loaded the 150 grain Speer, starting at the recommended starting load of 42 grains, of H380 up to 46 grains, (48 grains was listed as max). Noted that the 46 grain loadings seem to group a quite a bit better at 100 yards. Just recently reloaded 173 grain (175grain with gas check) using RX-7, but due to the wind haven't had a chance to try them out yet. Yesterday was very calm, however I had to got to Flagstaff for an appointment. I do plan on ordering the 220 grain bullets here shortly. If it isn't the darn wind, it's the unbearable heat.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I finally got out and shot those 173 grain hand cast with a gas check (175grain) the other day. Although they had a difference of velocity from the slowest to fastest of 90 fps they appeared to be the most accurate shooting from a bench. Further I shot 10 of those factory Remington 180 grain core-loct. Those had the best consistency in fps, with only about 40fps, they were not near as accurate as my hand cast. My hand cast would consistently put 2 rounds within less than an inch, however the 3rd round would open up to about 1.5-2.0 inches (100 yards). The factory loads shot 2.5-3" using 3 rounds, however in a neat little triangle. Pretty much the same as my Speer 150 grain loads, which I forgot to take the chronograph, along with. I'm still waiting for the 220 grain bullets I ordered recently from Midway. Note I didn't get any unusual leading from my hand cast bullets and I shot over 20 rounds. I'm going to order a 220 grain bullet mold here shortly if the 220 grain bullets I've got on order shoot any better. I'm looking for that elusive moa, incase anyone was wondering.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts