Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might have the opportunity to buy a blued bicentennial new model blackhawk 357 with the holster. The guy wants $450.

I haven't looked at it yet, anything in particular I should be looking for? How does the price sound if it's in good shape?

Thanks.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,144 Posts
orntar, The bicentennial is known as a "Liberty Model". The gun itself is virtually identical to current production Blackhawks, however the roll mark on the barrel "MADE IN THE 200th YEAR OF AMERICAN LIBERTY" does make it collectable. Considering the MSRP of a new Blackhawk is $669 (about $550 street price) .... my question is this: Which would you rather have? A collectable 40 year old gun or a new BH with no history? Condition is everything when you are dealing with used guns. Just the difference in 98% versus 95% means a value difference of $200.

Here's my Liberty Blackhawk. I have turned down offers of $500 and wouldn't part with it for less than $550 .... not counting a Super Blackhawk hammer that I installed. My BH can be restored to factory condition in a few minutes.

·
Registered
264 Posts
With only approx 48,000 produced as 200th year, you won't be the only kid on the block with one. I've had several of the 200th models in handgun and rifle and they never seemed to carry true collectors value with maybe a $50 premium. Look at GunBroker and see the prices with current bids. Most will have zero bids and are usually 20 to 25% too high.

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
I recently sold a convertible one for $600.00!

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
Those that collect these bicentennial ones want them crisp and clean so condition is everything along with having the proper papers and box. Just too recent to have much wear be overlooked. I see them occasionally and only see a small difference in value over the non-'76 ones. Even at $450 you're at the price about any used BH is tagged at around here. The holster, unless its something noteworthy as far as make, it ads very little if anything to the package value. I also certain wouldn't give a 95% vs 98% a difference of $200 on such a model.
When checking Gunbroker, look at completed auctions so you can see what people are actually paying not just what sellers are asking - big difference. In the end, regardless of what any book, internet site or forum suggests, it's what it's worth to you that should matter most of all.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I actually offered to trade a similarly valued gun (I think) for it.

I have been wanting a Blackhawk or Vaquero for a while, but they seemed out of my price range, at least in my area. Until this one showed up. Never bought a gun online, seems daunting.

Hopefully, I will check it out tomorrow.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I picked it up. It looks to be in real good shape. I will try to post some pictures tonight.

Thanks for the help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts